Fleet Commander Now Ready To Deploy Fedora & RHEL Desktops At Scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleet Commander Now Ready To Deploy Fedora & RHEL Desktops At Scale

Phoronix: Fleet Commander Now Ready To Deploy Fedora & RHEL Desktops At Scale

Fleet Commander is now declared "production ready" by the Red Hat developers working on this software project for easing the process of deploying and managing Fedora/Red Hat desktops across a large number of systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Debian has that feature for years: Boot installer from a server:
    Fleet Commander is remote management, it can change settings, install/uninstall applications in live systems.

So it's not the same thing as network installation.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Fleet Commander is remote management, it can change settings, install/uninstall applications in live systems.

So it's not the same thing as network installation.
      It seems like a foreign concept in Linux, I tried explaining it on ElementaryOS subreddit on why it would be nice to have, with mixed results,

https://www.reddit.com/r/elementaryo...chsavvy_users/
      Last edited by Brophen; 18 October 2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

This is great news! Linux is long overdue a native alternative to AD, even if it is GNOME-only. I should expect FC has a long way to go to compete with AD but this sounds like a good start.

My initial questions are if it will support non RH/Fedora distros and does it support configuring printers?

Comment

Originally posted by Brophen View Post
          It seems like a foreign concept in Linux, I tried explaining it on ElementaryOS subreddit on why it would be nice to have, with mixed results,

You just encountered a bunch of linux-using idiots, not unlike the other genius I responded to in my post above, don't extrapolate too much from it, lol.

Anyone with a modicum of IT work experience will relate a lot to that, and appreciate the ability.

For example the whole point of Active Directory in Windows is doing that, among other things.

I didn't know Elementary OS had that functionality and imho it's great, and I'm going to look into it.

So far I only knew of Chromebooks and of ChromiumOS forks like https://www.neverware.com/ that had such infrastructure in place (outside of RedHat/SUSE's semi-equivalent of Active Directory whose name I currently forgot, and I don't feel like setting up for friend/family PCs).

I remember a great application for Windows called Soluto, that in its second stage of life provided a similar system too, where someone could uninstall/install applications remotely, run disk checks and updates, and so on. It got bought and now it's disappeared (migrated to company-only? unknown).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            You just encountered a bunch of linux-using idiots, not unlike the other genius I responded to in my post above, don't extrapolate too much from it, lol.

Anyone with a modicum of IT work experience will relate a lot to that, and appreciate the ability.

For example the whole point of Active Directory in Windows is doing that, among other things.

I didn't know Elementary OS had that functionality and imho it's great, and I'm going to look into it.

So far I only knew of Chromebooks and of ChromiumOS forks like https://www.neverware.com/ that had such infrastructure in place (outside of RedHat/SUSE's semi-equivalent of Active Directory whose name I currently forgot, and I don't feel like setting up for friend/family PCs).

I remember a great application for Windows called Soluto, that in its second stage of life provided a similar system too, where someone could uninstall/install applications remotely, run disk checks and updates, and so on. It got bought and now it's disappeared (migrated to company-only? unknown).
            Ah yeah, fair enough.

Unfortunately, ElementaryOS doesn't have anything like it. That thread was me spouting off ideas that could make ElementaryOS more widely adopted, especially in Education like Chromebooks have taken off. Without Group Management, tasks become much more tedious when dealing with large groups.

I mean, I found out one could do some of the automation with puppet, but a distro supported option would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Brophen View Post

It's a foreign concept in Desktop oriented distros.
              There's also Webmin wich does basically the same thing.
              I use it in my home server.

Comment

I've been meaning to deploy Cockpit to about 10-20 CentOS servers for administration... For that amount of servers, should I continue with that idea or should I look at Fleet Commander instead? Is 10-20 machines "small scale" and not within the scope of Fleet Commander, or is it a potential good option?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                  There's also Webmin wich does basically the same thing.
                  I use it in my home server.
                  No, webmin is a webinterface you use to operate a SINGLE system.

This is a system that allows a single administrator to change settings of all PCs in the company from a single control console (on a server or whatever).

A similar system is Puppet, kind of. https://blog.serverdensity.com/use-p...lover-deploys/

This is a very interesting feature for any system administrator, and something Windows offered since the dawn of time with so-called "Active Directory" services.

Comment

Ah come on vBullettin! Blocked post above for nomadewolf

Comment

Working...
                    X