Ubuntu 17.10 Ships Today - Arguably Its Most Interesting Release In Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 Ships Today - Arguably Its Most Interesting Release In Years

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Ships Today - Arguably Its Most Interesting Release In Years

Abandoning their convergence dream earlier this year and with that the sun-setting of the Unity desktop environment and Mir display server, Ubuntu 17.10 is shipping today with its new GNOME-powered desktop backed by Wayland.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Edit #2: I see Kubuntu 17.10 is now available, as is Lubuntu. However, a few of the other flavours I checked seem multiple releases out-of-date.

P.S. thanks to the Ubuntu/Kubuntu community for another release. I'm looking forward to it.
    Last edited by coder; 19 October 2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

BTW, it sounds like Kubuntu hasn't yet dropped 32-bit support:
      Please help us by testing as much as you have time for. Remember, in particular we need i386 testers, on “bare metal” rather than VMs if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Does anyone know when we can expect Kubuntu to produce an updated release? I see they've already got a 17.10 RC, but their latest official release is still 17.04.

Edit: Oops. It seems even ubuntu.com still lists 17.04 as the latest release, on their download pages. Still, it'd be nice to know if the releases are sync'd or if there's typically some lag for the various flavours.
        Michael got lazy and set this article to auto post at midnight or 1AM (DST and timezones and all that good stuff). I guess he didn't want to get "scooped" by all of the other Linux news aggregates out there...

Comment

Using Ubuntu for 12 years, now swtiched to Kubuntu and never looked back. Recent KDE versions are amazing, quite different to the ugly slow Gnome disaster, simplified to the point of being unusable.
          Used to be quite the opposite.

Comment

I'm not going to feed the troll.

Good stuff, and I was happy to learn it here first. I'm pretty sure Michael is the best linux tester/reporter we have, worldwide.

Comment

It really looks nice and I must say it is the first Ubuntu release that I would consider to use. Good to have Ubuntu now on board with Wayland. This will help a lot to improve the experience for all Linux users. Maybe this will force Nvidia now to do something about Wayland/Xwayland support, until now it was a big drama.

Comment

I like the Gnome experience in Ubuntu. But in the last days, I tried Windows 10 and I like it. No crashes in contrast to Ubuntu 17.10 (Gnome Shell) and very, very fast!

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                  It really looks nice and I must say it is the first Ubuntu release that I would consider to use. Good to have Ubuntu now on board with Wayland. This will help a lot to improve the experience for all Linux users. Maybe this will force Nvidia now to do something about Wayland/Xwayland support, until now it was a big drama.
                  After GNOME has adopted NVIDIA's EGLStreams system? Fat chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    I like the Gnome experience in Ubuntu. But in the last days, I tried Windows 10 and I like it. No crashes in contrast to Ubuntu 17.10 (Gnome Shell) and very, very fast!
                    Windows 10? Is that a new ubuntu-based distro?

Comment

Working...
                    X