Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel OpenGL Shader Cache Revised Once More

Phoronix: Intel OpenGL Shader Cache Revised Once More

The long ongoing work to implement an OpenGL/GLSL shader cache for the Intel Mesa driver has been revised once more with 32 new patches hitting the mailing list today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE=0
    Gotta watch out for those double negatives ;-)

Comment

I imagine that something like this benefits weaker hardware the best, so it'll be interesting to see how much Intel benefits from this.

Comment

In some cases, driver shade cache can work wonders, e.g. on Windows with Witcher 3.
        Linux OGL ports will run miserably though, they have more severe issues.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I imagine that something like this benefits weaker hardware the best, so it'll be interesting to see how much Intel benefits from this.
          Shader compile times are cpu dependant, so i don't see how weaker gpu's would benefit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
            Shader compile times are cpu dependant, so i don't see how weaker gpu's would benefit more.
            Ah I just assumed it was handled by the GPU.

Comment

I didn't look at the patches, but does shader caching need to be implemented from scratch for all graphics card vendors supported by Mesa? I would have expected the work previously done for AMD to also apply to the Intel cards.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
                I didn't look at the patches, but does shader caching need to be implemented from scratch for all graphics card vendors supported by Mesa? I would have expected the work previously done for AMD to also apply to the Intel cards.
                A lot of the work here is about getting NIR to serialize, so it can fill a similar role that TGSI does in the cache for Gallium drivers. Since Intel doesn't use Gallium they needed that instead.

Now that TGSI and NIR paths are both used by the cache other drivers should be able to hook it up pretty easily, since all the modern drivers end up using one of those IR's.

Past that there is some work involved on a per-driver basis to get it all hooked up, but it shouldn't be a ton.

Comment

Working...
                X