Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD EPYC 7551 Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD EPYC 7551 Linux Benchmarks

One step below AMD's current top-end EPYC 7601 server processor is the EPYC 7551. The EPYC 7551 costs around $800 USD less than the 7601 while still being a 32 core / 64 thread part but with slightly lower clock frequencies. In this article is a look at the EPYC 7251 / 7351P / 7401P / 7551 / 7601 Ubuntu Linux performance compared to various Intel Xeon CPUs in our lab.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems to be a pretty obvious choice compared to the 7601. 20% price drop for basically a ~10% overall performance loss. If you built 4x systems using the 7601, that money could've instead built you 5x systems with the 7551. That's 64 additional threads for the same price (excluding the cost of the rest of the server). The value becomes even greater when you double up everything and go for dual-socket motherboards.

And despite all of this, the 7601 is still a killer value compared to Intel's offerings.

Comment

For single-processor servers there is also a 7551P with same specs as 7551 (actually a tiny bit faster), 128 PCIE lanes off a single package, and much lower price (2100 vs 3400 IIRC).
      Last edited by bridgman; 26 October 2017, 06:19 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

I'm not drooling, you're drooling!

Comment

bridgman then why didn't AMD send Phoronix (or any other hardware review website for that matter) the 7551P for review then? Would have made a nice comparison against the similarly priced Intel 7980XE.

From what I can tell, the AMD CPUs which absolutely shine in price/performance are dual Epyc 7281, single 7401P and single 7551P. Websites should should from the rooftops how these are demolishing the Intel Core and Xeon competition at their respective price points. Yet of these we only see the 7401P here at Phoronix.

And while I'm at it, what kind of smart AMD person tells Phoronix not to benchmark Threadripper against Epyc? There are users in this very forum who are wondering whether to buy Threadripper or Epyc, but AMD prevents them from easily getting the information they need to make that decision.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            bridgman then why didn't AMD send Phoronix (or any other hardware review website for that matter) the 7551P for review then? Would have made a nice comparison against the similarly priced Intel 7980XE.
            My impression is that most of the planned sampling was for 2P systems, so 2P processors were stockpiled rather than 1P.

I haven't really been involved in the sampling efforts other than a couple of initial calls/emails re: checking to make sure Phoronix included in the plans.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              checking to make sure Phoronix included in the plans.
              Good work then (y)

AMD engineers must be proud of EPYC benchmarks results

Comment

Working...
              X