Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethereum + OpenCL Benchmarks With The Latest AMDGPU-PRO Mining & NVIDIA Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethereum + OpenCL Benchmarks With The Latest AMDGPU-PRO Mining & NVIDIA Linux Drivers

Phoronix: Ethereum + OpenCL Benchmarks With The Latest AMDGPU-PRO Mining & NVIDIA Linux Drivers

Last week AMD released a new AMDGPU-PRO driver aimed for cryptocurrency mining that is their first release in the new v17.40 series. This new driver also allows adjusting the fragment size for increased performance and at least for mining yields a big performance boost. Here are some fresh benchmarks on multiple Radeon graphics cards using 17.40 with the amdgpu vm_fragment_size set for 2MB compared to the latest NVIDIA 387 Linux graphics driver on various GeForce GPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WoW, can't wait for all the code being used here to be upstreamed

These are fantastic results, well done AMD!

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      WoW, can't wait for all the code being used here to be upstreamed

These are fantastic results, well done AMD!
      Depends on your definition of "fantastic". It's just hardware being used as it should be (e.g. everybody knows AMD consumer hardware is better at number crunching than Nvidia, but their driver sucked till now). If you're an AMD owner, that can look fantastic, but if you're in the green camp, it's just "things works as they should have from the beginning".

Comment

Those numbers look good - but how is ROCm stacking up against it?

Comment

For mining the key measurable is the power used to reach that coin hit rate. If Vega gets a great coin rate, but requires twice the power to do so over NVidia, then net coin value goes down.

For pure OpenCL or CUDA, I would look at the memory copy results and how many iterations can be processed per second. Many of the tools used are batch based, so the power usage occurs in intervals as opposed to mining, which runs 24x7.

The correlation between e-coin market value crashes shortly after a new generation of GPU's hit the market is becoming apparent.

More supply, less value. Less value, less mining.

Comment

Since when is the GTX 1080 slower than a GTX 1070 while mining?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Since when is the GTX 1080 slower than a GTX 1070 while mining?
              Tell me why gtx1080 gives a bad result in the algorithm dagger-Hashimoto (with a heavy load on the memory)? What is the problem and how to fix it? I’ve already read everything, but can not find solutions

Comment

The GTX1080 has been slower than the GTX1070 for ethereum for as long as I can recall. But it has been faster for zcash and it's to do with the memory used on the GTX1080

​​​​On the other hand the GTX1080Ti is impressive at ethereum and does not suffer the same limitation.

Comment

Please test the hardware SHA for Ryzen with cpuminer-opt.

Optimized multi algo CPU miner. Contribute to JayDDee/cpuminer-opt development by creating an account on GitHub.

The following algos use hardware SHA

hmq1725 lbry sha256t skein myr-groestl m7m
                  for i in hmq1725 sha256t lbry skein myr-gr m7m; do cpuminer --quiet --time-limit=30 --benchmark -a $i; done
                  Last edited by GraceAsylum; 27 October 2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Michael Thank you for the benchmarks. I have a question.

Did you try Blender and it didn't work?

Comment

Working...
                    X