Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Linux 4.14 + Mesa 17.4-dev vs. NVIDIA

Phoronix: Nouveau Linux 4.14 + Mesa 17.4-dev vs. NVIDIA

It's been a while since last posting any open-source NVIDIA (Nouveau) benchmarks compared to the official NVIDIA proprietary Linux graphics driver simply as there hasn't been too much progress to report on recently. There still isn't re-clocking for Maxwell 2 and Kepler GPUs, dynamic re-clocking remains unimplemented for earlier generations of GPUs, there is not a Nouveau Vulkan driver yet, and they remain tackling OpenGL 4.4~4.5 compliance. But for those wondering how the performance of Nouveau is with re-clocked Kepler / Maxwell 1 graphics cards, here are some fresh benchmarks of the very latest NVIDIA Linux drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Buying nVIDIA is no option for me and supporting it indirectly by using cuda at work is a no no. Sadly it is meaningless bc the mass prefers the green company to convert coal into a energy bill - hah! Even wine devs do ... :-/

Comment

Could in theory the qualcomm msm_adreno_tz governor or adreno idler be ported over to dynamically control clocks of nouveau cards?

Comment

Horrible results from the open-source drivers...

Comment

TL;DR: Linux users should stop buying Nvidia. The trend is moving towards AMD, but it's slow.

Comment

Michael: "There still isn't re-clocking for Maxwell 2 and Kepler GPUs" - I think you meant Pascal? Also you mention stability issues with Xonotic on 780 Ti - I guess you meant 750? I'm aware of an issue where the floors disappear sometimes there. Were there additional stability issues on top of that?

I'm a bit surprised by how bad these results are. You could squeeze a bit more perf out of nouveau by booting with "nouveau.config=NvBoost=1" which should allow slightly higher core clocks to be used maybe? But that's like a 10% change, not a 100% change. I knew that DOTA2 was especially bad relative to other games, I'm surprised by how horrid BioShock is. Should probably spend some time investigating, although such things require a significant chunk of time to properly look into, which is rare to come by.
            Last edited by imirkin; 05 November 2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Yes, people should stop buying nVidia products, I whole-heartedly agree, but nVidia products do still exist and they do still require open source drivers written for them. So, good job OSS devs! It sucks you don't have official backing from nVidia, so what you guys accomplished so far is actually very impressive. Keep up the good work, don't ever let anyone discourage you.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
                Michael: "There still isn't re-clocking for Maxwell 2 and Kepler GPUs" - I think you meant Pascal? Also you mention stability issues with Xonotic on 780 Ti - I guess you meant 750? I'm aware of an issue where the floors disappear sometimes there. Were there additional stability issues on top of that?

I'm a bit surprised by how bad these results are. You could squeeze a bit more perf out of nouveau by booting with "noueau.config=NvBoost=1" which should allow slightly higher core clocks to be used maybe? But that's like a 10% change, not a 100% change. I knew that DOTA2 was especially bad relative to other games, I'm surprised by how horrid BioShock is. Should probably spend some time investigating, although such things require a significant chunk of time to properly look into, which is rare to come by.
                Whoops, typos fixed. Thanks.

Will give NvBoost a go once that system is back into the same state for Nouveau testing.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                  Could in theory the qualcomm msm_adreno_tz governor or adreno idler be ported over to dynamically control clocks of nouveau cards?
                  Unlikely. In the sense that yes you can probably do that easily, but it would not work well.
                  Governors are tuned to the hardware they are used on, while for CPUs different devices will still have the same ARM cores inside so you can use the same governors, Adreno GPU is not anywhere near a NVIDIA GPU.

Comment

Not to be disrespectful, I never really understand this fanatical obsession with open source software.
                    Now, I am not saying that open source software is bad. In fact, I am a big fan of it, but in some cases it simply doesn't make sense.

In some case like Linux (Unix was paid), or detecting underhanded trickery by devs/companies (Microsoft's telemetry in Win 10, cough) open source is very good.
                    Other relevant but very rare case is when devs take the code and modify it to suit their needs/add more customization features, however that doesn't happen too often with low level drivers.

And this is why, I struggle to make sense of the Nouveau driver.
                    Nvidia's official driver does everything Nouveau does and does it way better (Proof is in the article). It has better compatibility and more features

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    It sucks you don't have official backing from nVidia, so what you guys accomplished so far is actually very impressive.
                    Another thing, that I disagree with. Working, with outside developers to develop open source drivers risks giving away some of the competitive details, which they have worked very hard to gain, since this happens to be a very low-level driver.

Moreover, Nvidia hasn't blocked the development of Nouveau, it simply is giving signed microcode blobs to work with open source driver stacks which seems a fair compromise when it comes to protecting proprietary stuff. It is not just Nvidia, AMD also does the same thing and AMD is a company which has very open-source friendly image. (It is stated in the article)

Do we as a developer community expect too much when it comes open source? Surely, we don't expect companies to just open up all their secrets and simply give it away?

Comment

Working...
                    X