CompuLab Announces The Tiny Fitlet2 Linux PC, Powered By Intel Apollo Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CompuLab Announces The Tiny Fitlet2 Linux PC, Powered By Intel Apollo Lake

Phoronix: CompuLab Announces The Tiny Fitlet2 Linux PC, Powered By Intel Apollo Lake

The Linux-friendly folks at CompuLab have just announced their newest industrial-grade, fanless PC: the fitlet2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How fast is this compared to Mac Minis? What kind of IoT applications would need this much power? GPIO controlled relays already work with Arduino / ESP32.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      How fast is this compared to Mac Minis? What kind of IoT applications would need this much power? GPIO controlled relays already work with Arduino / ESP32.
      Guessing without knowing better, but maybe some kind of gateway for IoT devices.

Comment

IOT is not just small stuff.... IOT ranges from a lightbulb to gateways to factory-machines to ... Xeon-class servers that run self driving cars.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
          Tiny miscapitalization:
          Actually that is officially how they stylize it, but I sort of have a pet peeve about product names in all lower case.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Comment

How fast is this compared to Mac Minis?
              The best CPU it can mount has around half the power of the lower-end i5 used in mac minis. It's not bad at all for its intended market, though.
              The Atom x7 is basically this CPU with more features (AES, ECC ram) https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php...8700+@+1.60GHz
              The I5-4260U used in lower-end Mac minis https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php...0U+%40+1.40GHz
              What kind of IoT applications would need this much power?
              Embedded is also medical, industrial, signage, and whatever else where having a full-blown PC to run a user interface and control other peripherals like printers, while also powerful enough to process some data from cameras or sensors is desirable.
              GPIO controlled relays already work with Arduino / ESP32.
              The fact that this board has no GPIO should probably hint at the fact that GPIO controlled relays isn't the main use for this thing.

Comment

Yeah, if this thing actually supports ECC it would be a steal for 200$ (I'm including shipping).

I don't understand how they can fit 16GB of RAM on a device that can run only up to 8 though. Are they using some trick RAM chips? There were some, made years ago that could fit 16GB of RAM in a single DIMM/SO-DIMM.

Comment

starshipeleven this is an Apollo Lake, your x7-Zxxxx processor is a Cherrytrail.

the closest device I could find is a J3455, and its CPUBenchmark rating is 2170.

this is somewhat similar to the old Core2Duo/Conroe performance, but at one sixth of the power consumption
                  https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2875&cmp[]=943

Last edited by speculatrix; 05 November 2017, 06:51 PM. Reason: edit: had a momentary brain lapse.

Comment

Looking at this, I was hoping "please have dual ethernet". Actually, it can have up to four ethernet (with a +2 card, default is 2). Can't seem to find an "order" page, hope it's not volume only availability. A bit of a bummer that they claim non-ecc memory only. But love the 8v-36v dc tolerance, and the -40C tolerance. Very nice product.

Comment

Working...
                    X