Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadcom Bids To Snatch Qualcomm For $103 Billion

Phoronix: Broadcom Bids To Snatch Qualcomm For $103 Billion

Following reports the past few days of Broadcom and Qualcomm potentially hooking up, Broadcom just filed their offer today to try to buy up Qualcomm for $103 billion USD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The rumors started on Friday. The total deal is $130 billion. Not to mention that Qualcomm is trying to acquire NXP. Also Broadcom is merging with Brocade (still not closed deal). This would create a mega corporation. Based on news this would create the 3rd largest chipmaker in the world, right behind Intel. I don't know if they added in NXP and Brocade numbers into this.

Also apparently Marvell are in "advanced talks" to merge with Cavium.

I am not exactly a fan of these consolidation, but they are beneficial for the companies and to some customers.

Comment

Originally posted by davidlt View Post
      The rumors started on Friday. The total deal is $130 billion. Not to mention that Qualcomm is trying to acquire NXP. Also Broadcom is merging with Brocade (still not closed deal). This would create a mega corporation. Based on news this would create the 3rd largest chipmaker in the world, right behind Intel. I don't know if they added in NXP and Brocade numbers into this.

Also apparently Marvell are in "advanced talks" to merge with Cavium.

I am not exactly a fan of these consolidation, but they are beneficial for the companies and to some customers.
      The economics of scale have not really been beneficial to costumers.

Comment

'103 billion dollars' sound too big to be true. Especially by Broadcom by looking at its revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
          '103 billion dollars' sound too big to be true. Especially by Broadcom by looking at its revenue.
          Are you looking at Broadcom Corporation or its parent Broadcom Limited? For the first one I'd agree, the 2nd one should be big enough.

Comment

As long as it doesn't affect the Raspberry pi foundation, I really don't care.

Comment

I fear this will make ARM status on linux even worse than it is but to be honest I'm not sure if I hate Qualcomm or Broadcom more, let's wait and see I guess

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                to be honest I'm not sure if I hate Qualcomm or Broadcom more, let's wait and see I guess
                This merger will at least solve that dilemma for you...

I personally don't like the sound of this at all. Consolidation of companies is only good for the people behind them, and is generally detrimental to the customers and the workforce of all companies involved.
                The "economies of scale" argument also seems a bit shaky to me, since we are not talking about small companies any more.

Comment

More mega corporations throttling competition, sounds great!

Comment

So, what do we think the new name will be? Broadcomm? Qualcom?

Heh.

Comment

Working...
                    X