Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Basic macOS 10.13 vs. Ubuntu 17.10 OpenGL Gaming Tests

Phoronix: Some Basic macOS 10.13 vs. Ubuntu 17.10 OpenGL Gaming Tests

Following last week's F1 2017 launch for Linux which is making use of the Vulkan graphics API on Linux and Metal API on macOS, originally I set out to compare the macOS vs. Linux performance, but that didn't go quite as planned due to MacBook Pro woes. But here are some other OpenGL game tests between macOS and Ubuntu 17.10 Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Even a hardcore Windows gamer could look at these numbers and think "Yeah, Linux isn't so bad for gaming after all"

Comment

It will be great to see Vulkan vs Metal 2 benchmarks.

Comment

Apple has ditched OpenGL as a main API some years ago. So it doesn't surprise me the better performance of Ubuntu against macOS.

As Guest said, Vulkan versus Metal on the same GPU (Intel and AMD) it would be a better comparison.

Comment

Isn't the thermal throttling enforced on Linux as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            It will be great to see Vulkan vs Metal 2 benchmarks.
            Unfortunately, only really able to do so if getting any Mac desktop hardware for testing since no lightweight Vulkan/Metal benchmark available... only aware of F1 2017 that would serve as such a comparison.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
              Isn't the thermal throttling enforced on Linux as well?
              It sounds like under macOS, Apple might be more strict about their thermal throttling, etc.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Looks like Apple ditched OpenGL development too quickly for Metal, especially since OpenGL continues developing next to Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post
                  Apple has ditched OpenGL as a main API some years ago. So it doesn't surprise me the better performance of Ubuntu against macOS.

As Guest said, Vulkan versus Metal on the same GPU (Intel and AMD) it would be a better comparison.
                  But then you are no longer running the same software. The game could have an awful Metal implementation and an optimized Vulkan one, or vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

To be fair, even before Metal became available on iOS, macOS's OpenGL-drivers underperformed when compared Windows and lately Linux as well. It took them forever to support GL3 and 4. Since my device has no trouble running the ParaView things I need I don't really notice but it is still annoying to see that the same hardware is severely underperforming under macOS. Apple has always been lazy on that front. Nvidia now has some drivers that can be installed on macOS but doesn't offer this AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
                    X