Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's Late-2016 MacBook Pro Is Still A Wreck With Linux

Phoronix: Apple's Late-2016 MacBook Pro Is Still A Wreck With Linux

At the end of last year we had a brief encounter with the new at the time MacBook Pro with Touchbar to see how well it would run under Linux. It was a mess with SSD difficulties, non-working touchpad/keyboard, WiFi issues, and more. It's a bit better using the newly-released Ubuntu 17.10, but would still advise against Linux for the Apple MacBook Pro Late-2016 model / Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C / MacBookPro 13,3 model.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Short info: Either the compiler isn't identified correctly or an outdated version was used. With the current Xcode 9.1, the Apple-llvm version should be 9xx something.

Comment

Maybe this gist can help as well (or maybe you can contribute):
      Linux on MacBook Pro Late 2016 and Mid 2017 (with Touchbar) - 0 Linux-On-MBP-Late-2016.md

Comment

Looks like it's also a wreck with MacOS. Maybe APFS is not the solution to all of Apple's performance problems after all?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Looks like it's also a wreck with MacOS. Maybe APFS is not the solution to all of Apple's performance problems after all?
          It's probably still immature, give it a few years to stabilize.

God I love when companies put their customers in the "beta testing program".

Comment

unapproved post for andyprough above

Comment

hey Michael, do a similar post for the yoga 920. Nobody buys a damn macbook to run linux, the yoga 910/920 are strong contenders alongside dell's xps and there's no information on them

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                It's probably still immature, give it a few years to stabilize.

God I love when companies put their customers in the "beta testing program".
                Maybe Apple will rebrand it as "APFS+" after 13 years of use, like when HFS was reborn as HFS+ in 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
                  hey Michael, do a similar post for the yoga 920. Nobody buys a damn macbook to run linux, the yoga 910/920 are strong contenders alongside dell's xps and there's no information on them
                  I have no access to any Yoga laptops.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Do you want a high end laptop to run Linux? Thinkpad. T Series Thinkpad. Don't look any further.

I bought mine used for a fraction of the shiny 2/3 years more modern model. Everything works out of the box. Very easy to repair yourself IF something break. And as is a high volume model, always have support from the community.

Or if you are at the States and can live with the US keyboard layout, you can always look at the System76 models.
                    Last edited by M@GOid; 10 November 2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X