Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V Hopes To Get In Linux 4.15, OpenRISC Adds SMP Support

Phoronix: RISC-V Hopes To Get In Linux 4.15, OpenRISC Adds SMP Support

There's potentially a lot happening within the open-source RISC space for the Linux 4.15 kernel merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sweet as!

I am looking forward to getting a SBC RISC-V setup to play with at some stage in the future - mainline support makes things nice and easy!

Comment

Why can't the RISC-V architecture code stay in staging? Is there an advantage to pulling into mainline without drivers?

Comment

"Without drivers" is a bit misleading, it is generic enough that it should be able to boot with a serial console on real hardware; and even if there's no hardware, having it mainline is still useful for development of drivers for hardware, and for running in QEMU/Spike (for which there are sufficient drivers).
        Last edited by microcode; 14 November 2017, 02:25 AM.

Comment

I recently purchased the HiFive1 board with theSiFive E31 processor. It was really exciting to see open hardware and architecture in action with all the available documentation, you get to understand all the details down to the registers on the CPU. It's a great learning tool, and I hope in the future we get a Raspberry PI compatible board that runs mainline distros. Maybe we'll finally get a proper open-source raspberry pi killer!

Comment

Symmetic

Comment

Working...
            X