Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VESA Pushes Out DisplayID 2.0 As The Successor To EDID For Monitors & Electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VESA Pushes Out DisplayID 2.0 As The Successor To EDID For Monitors & Electronics

Phoronix: VESA Pushes Out DisplayID 2.0 As The Successor To EDID For Monitors & Electronics

DisplayID 2.0 is now official as the VESA standard to succeed the long-used Extended Display Identification Data "EDID" by TVs, monitors, and other consumer electronics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Writing modelines... OMG. Good riddance.
    The conept sounds good at first glance, but then - will that be backwards compatible with older software? I'm worried that one day you can't attach a monitor to an older device / SW any longer. And, of course, some manufacturers still might still mess it up. Standards are there to be broken, right?
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Hopefully this post didn't remind you of the old days of Linux/X.Org with monitor/EDID problems being common
      Was there really much of a problem? IIRC you could pass for it to not use EDID and set it manually like before EDID, but maybe my memory deceives me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        Hopefully this post didn't remind you of the old days of Linux/X.Org with monitor/EDID problems being common
        Was there really much of a problem? IIRC you could pass for it to not use EDID and set it manually like before EDID, but maybe my memory deceives me.
        The days of having to set the modelines manually and depending upon the hardware with some monitors there was quirky EDID. I still have one display around where if using the legacy fglrx driver its EDID parsing remains botched.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Seems to be several years too late, but better late than never I guess.

Comment

I remember submitting a couple of edid's to the database one was for Samsung's 712n monitor the other was for a Viewsonic crt don't remember the specifics other than it had a higher than normal Hz for the time. As Michael noted if it wasn't available things got dicey when using fglrx.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
            Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

DarkFoss, I remember using Fedora Core and other distros on a dual setup of those monitors. Thanks

I sure do miss 5:4.

Comment

Ugh I feel X11 has only just got EDID working properly relatively recently. I still need to faff about with this stuff on occasion.

Has Wayland even been written in a scalable way that DisplayID will be possible? Probably not. Oh well, it was fun whilst it lasted. Back to X11 we go

Comment

several years too late
                  Came to think of this: All 720p TVs (aka. "HD Ready"), despite common sense, actually had a resolution of 1366×768, which is not representable in EDID.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    Writing modelines... OMG. Good riddance.
                    The conept sounds good at first glance, but then - will that be backwards compatible with older software? I'm worried that one day you can't attach a monitor to an older device / SW any longer. And, of course, some manufacturers still might still mess it up. Standards are there to be broken, right?
                    It seems to be retro-compatible.

From the press release:
                    “While DisplayID 2.0 is a future-focused specification incorporating support for higher resolution and refresh rates as well as HDR and Adaptive-Sync, it can also co-exist with older products supporting EDID, further enabling us to help guarantee full-plug-and-play ability for consumers regardless of the type of display they own.”

Ok, this does not guarantee that someone (especially in the media segment, TVs, dvd/bluray/cable/similar crap boxes) will start to use this trick to force you to upgrade your whole setup, but at least this makes responsibilities clear.

Comment

Working...
                    X