Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux File-System Benchmarks On The Intel Optane 900P SSD

Phoronix: Linux File-System Benchmarks On The Intel Optane 900P SSD

Earlier this week I presented out initial Linux benchmarks of the Intel Optane 900P SSD with this 3D XPoint memory U.2 solid-state drive delivering incredible performance figures. Those tests were done with EXT4 while in this article are more tests with other mainline Linux file-systems and also testing some of the different mount options.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I kinda hope that ZFS gets mainlined in some meaningful way someday so that we can see ZFS be a member of benchmarks here regularly in the future. I know, there are licensing issues that prevent ZFS from being mainlined, but a man can dream, right?!

Comment

It would be great to see some ZFS benchmarks as well, as it's the only other filesystem with a comparable feature set to btrfs.

Performance isn't everything.
      Last edited by Slithery; 17 November 2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Michael, would it be possible to get ext2 numbers as well to see whether disabling journaling boosts performance?

while the technique makes sense for disk and flash, these optane drives don't seem to care about locality the way disks do, and don't have issues with write in place like flash, so journaling is causing 2x writes on every metadata operation with no pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
          I kinda hope that ZFS gets mainlined in some meaningful way someday so that we can see ZFS be a member of benchmarks here regularly in the future. I know, there are licensing issues that prevent ZFS from being mainlined, but a man can dream, right?!
          If i'm not mistaken, ZFS will never be mainlined over licensing incompatibility...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

If i'm not mistaken, ZFS will never be mainlined over licensing incompatibility...
            Oracle recently talked about changing ZFS' license so it could get in the Linux kernel.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              with the 250GB Intel Optane 900P U.2 SSD.
              (it's 280GB)

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              F2FS and EXT4 were the fastest in discard/nobbarrier modes

Comment

If Oracle was to GPL ZFS today, I'm certain it would take at least 5 kernel cycles to get the code into shape for mainline. You'd be looking at a year at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post
                  II know, there are licensing issues that prevent ZFS from being mainlined

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Reading is fundamental.

Comment

That thing looks like it almost needs active cooling. There may be a use for those hdd water bocks after all.

Comment

Working...
                    X