Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Radeon RX Vega On Linux 4.15, NVIDIA/Radeon Benchmarks

Phoronix: Running Radeon RX Vega On Linux 4.15, NVIDIA/Radeon Benchmarks

With AMDGPU DC having been merged a few days ago for the Linux 4.15 merge window, it's now possible to run the Radeon RX Vega graphics cards with display support using the mainline kernel without having to resort to using a patched/third-party kernel build or using the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver. Here are some tests I have carried out with the Radeon RX Vega 56, RX Vega 64, and other graphics cards from Linux 4.15 Git compared to a few NVIDIA GPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

games run,
    decent performance.

I think most of the hard work is done and now it's all about polishing.

Great work to all who have contributed

Comment

Serious Sam Fusion 2017 now has DX12 and it works much better than with Vulkan..

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
        Serious Sam Fusion 2017 now has DX12 and it works much better than with Vulkan..
        And how is that relevant?

Comment

Source?

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post

Source?
            Hey everyone. We have just released a new patch for Serious Sam Fusion 2017. Check a look at the changelog, it's short but sweet. :) Changelog Added Tobii eye tracking support for regular (flat) games Added Virtuix Omni movement for VR games Added DirectX 12 support Various fixes, tweaks, and adjustments In case you have any issues with this build, the previous one is still available for opt-in, by doing this: locate the game in the Steam's "Library" panel right click and invoke "Properties"...

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post
              games run,
              decent performance.

I think most of the hard work is done and now it's all about polishing.

Great work to all who have contributed
              I don't think that is really true. While the cards work they are basically in backwards compatibility mode with Fiji. So...we have yet to see successful enablement of any new Vega core features.

Comment

Wasted time from my point of view. Going Vulkan only would be just fine. But DX12 for Serious Sam Fusion is anyway a irrelevant news for Linux :-)

Comment

As nice as it is seeing the new numbers versus Nvidia's performance, a comparison between 4.14 and 4.15 would've helped to easier identify the regression. Also, DOTA has never performed well on Linux for AMD. Performance is alsmost the same across the board with very little scaling with respect to the actual hardware capability. This leads me to believe that this benchmark in particular is very CPU bound. It stands to reason that the new DC capabilities added to the general CPU overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                    Wasted time from my point of view. Going Vulkan only would be just fine. But DX12 for Serious Sam Fusion is anyway a irrelevant news for Linux :-)
                    If Vulkan is significantly slower than DX12 in any scenario that would mean that there is room for improvement for Vulkan or the game engines Vulkan implementation, I wouldn't call that irrelevant for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X