Which Linux Distribution Boots The Fastest? An 11-Way Linux Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Linux Distribution Boots The Fastest? An 11-Way Linux Comparison

Phoronix: Which Linux Distribution Boots The Fastest? An 11-Way Linux Comparison

Following my recent tests of looking at the Ubuntu boot times from Linux 4.6 to 4.15 kernels, a request came in to look at the out-of-the-box boot performance on various Linux distributions. Here is a look at how the out-of-the-box Linux boot performance compares for 11 different distributions.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Linux 4.14 kermel,

Comment

Arch Linux, Gentoo and Void can do better! ...systemd is a virus!

Comment

It's kinda crazy to me that Ubu 16.04 ranked so high. It's something I'd think of as "old". Maybe that works to its advantage.

Comment

OpenMandriva have now faster boot time in new release OpenMandriva LX 3.03. In press note:
          "
          ]With it you’ll get even faster booting than before, so fast in fact that it’s sometimes quicker than the BIOS!
          Even the live image boots faster than before."
          Maybe someday I see OpenMandriva in test in Phoronix. I hope Anyway thanks for nice comparison Michael

Comment

It's interesting. I suppose even the different ways of generating the initramfs makes a difference. At least on Arch with the systemd mkinitcpio hook there are no shell scripts executed in the initramfs. That probably helps with boot performance. Plus Ubuntu seems to rely heavily on systemd-sysv-compat in my experience.

Comment

"The reported firmware time didn't yield too much of a difference."

Eh, the results differ betwen 9522 and 11645 ms. that's over 2 seconds. How does the distro have any effect on this? Isn't this 100% UEFI, not Linux?

Comment

openSUSE use by default wickd which is slow like a hell. Replace wickd with network manager. After that the boot will be really fast.

Startup finished in 1.931s (kernel) + 1.598s (initrd) + 2.806s (userspace) = 6.336s

Comment

In this particular system, what would count as firmware time? Michael

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                    In this particular system, what would count as firmware time? Michael
                    This might give some idea: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Sof...aderInterface/

Again, I'd say this test is yet again totally wrong and misleading. The firmware + loader time isn't distro specific. Of course you get shitty boot time if the boot loader menu stays active for 10 seconds on distro X and 1 seconds on distro Y. Also if the UEFI spends time training RAM modules on one occasion and got fixed the next day, the first tested distro would get bad results. I'm really disappointed with this.
                    Last edited by caligula; 25 November 2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X