Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Features Of Linux 4.15: AMDGPU DC, RISC-V, EPYC Benefits, VR Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Features Of Linux 4.15: AMDGPU DC, RISC-V, EPYC Benefits, VR Improvements

Phoronix: The New Features Of Linux 4.15: AMDGPU DC, RISC-V, EPYC Benefits, VR Improvements

The merge window is effectively over for Linux 4.15 with it being the 14th day of the process, although 4.15-rc1 might not end up coming out today due to Linus Torvalds' traveling around the US Thanksgiving holiday. But with Torvalds tending to not approve major last minute additions to new kernels, we don't anticipate any last minute surprises and therefore here is our feature overview of the changes and new features of Linux 4.15. This is arguably the most exciting and feature-packed kernel update ever.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the big one ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
      This is the big one ^_^
      until Linux 4.16
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

still no bcachefs and bus1...

Comment

Wasn't this unmerged due to lack of testing?

Intel UMIP for User-Mode Instruction Prevention for preventing certain instructions from being executed outside of ring level zero.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Wasn't this unmerged due to lack of testing?

The KVM side of the work was unmerged.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

- The HTC Vive VR headset will now be treated as a non-desktop device as other Direct Rendering Manager work around improving SteamVR on Linux.
              Link is messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by zekesonxx View Post

Link is messed up.
                Was about to say the same thing. I guess I'll google for this item then.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  A lot of is still missing thanks to wintel developers (mostly) if you have a Ryzen&RX PC and an older intel laptop.

Patching kernel for a new Ryzen computer

To prevent random kernel lock ups, enable RCU_NOCB_CPU and boot the kernel with the rcu_nocbs=0-X command line parameter. X is the cpu thread count -1.

Apply enable_additional_cpu_optimizations_for_gcc_v4.9+_ kernel_v4.13+.patch.

So for a non debug kernel, enable ACPI_NO_ERROR_MESSAGES. Exporting ACPI_HELP_APP as terminal environment variable does not work.

./include/acpi/platform/acenv.h
                  /* acpi_help configuration. Error messages disabled. */

#ifdef ACPI_HELP_APP
                  #define ACPI_NO_ERROR_MESSAGES
                  #endif
                  +#define ACPI_NO_ERROR_MESSAGES

Change Invalid PCI ROM header signature message to use the dev_info function in drivers/pci/rom.c

Intel gpu flip timeout error messages:
                  Add to the kernel command line: video=SVIDEO-1:d
                  This has solved the bug for me on my Latitude D630 with a 4.9 kernel. It disables the SVIDEO connector but my laptop doesen't even have one so it's fine.
                  The random lockups are really annoying! Hoped that the new Linux firmware or AGESA 1.0.0.7 might help, but it didn't.

Comment

I have a Ryzen 7 1800X and it has been nothing but rock solid for me. Running Kubuntu 17.10 with backports turned on. Not a single crash including running mem86 and mprime for long periods of time. I have only had it a few weeks though when I bought it on a wicked sale.

Comment

Working...
                    X