Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Features To Look Forward To With Wine 3.0

Phoronix: The Features To Look Forward To With Wine 3.0

Yesterday it was confirmed that Wine 3.0 will enter its code freeze next week and begin with the release candidates until the official v3.0.0 milestone is ready sometime around mid-January. Here's a recap of all the Wine developments for 2017 if you are curious about all the features and improvements to be found in this big update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Most d3d11 games work like crap, but I ran Prey 2017 from start to finish on Wine-staging 2.18 a few months ago and it worked really well after applying a few workarounds. Also tried Witcher 3 but it was more glitchy and it kept crashing so I gave up on that.

Comment

The only thing I used Wine for in the past five years was Starcraft 2, and with a recent battle.net update I can't get it to run.

Which is a shame, because it worked fine for years.

(Edit: On the bright side, Blizzard is a DRM-focused company that isn't interested in Linux support. So I guess I should be grateful that I've lost access the single most anti-Linux program I use. )

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        The only thing I used Wine for in the past five years was Starcraft 2, and with a recent battle.net update I can't get it to run.

(Edit: On the bright side, Blizzard is a DRM-focused company that isn't interested in Linux support. So I guess I should be grateful that I've lost access the single most anti-Linux program I use. )
        In my case use wine for same goal, play old games and many runs very well actually

Advance in wine 3.0 will be huge compared wine 2.0

However as your said online clients will be annoying case uplay

Comment

I'm playing Elder Scrolls Online (DX11 only game) on staging and it works flawlessly, to my surprise.

Comment

Prey 2017 runs perfect:
            There is screen tearing only when I record the video. If I don't record the desktop, there isn't tearing at all and the game runs very smooth.

Alredy completed.

Witcher 3 has some performance issues but I competed it too:

Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 runs perfect, also completed:
            video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

All Wolfenstein plus the newest Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus:

And many, many more.

Michael, do you check what you are writing today

Comment

Double post, edited.
              Last edited by mozo; 29 November 2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post
                I'm playing Elder Scrolls Online (DX11 only game) on staging and it works flawlessly, to my surprise.
                It does?
                I played it back in the day when it still had a OpenGL backend available on Windows and it worked fine, I just assumed that it was broken after they forced DX11. Maybe I should give it a try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

That's a shame... I was just getting into the mood to try Starcraft 2, now that it has become free-to-play. Love that universe and it's story.

I use Wine mostly via Play on Linux so that I can play GOG versions of games that I loved as a kid. I only buy games on GOG or Steam that either have a Linux version or can be made to run in Wine. I only buy non-Linux software on GOG, so out of my two criteria (DRM free and Linux Native) I always satisfy at least one.

Comment

I have quit using Wine. There is so much offering "natively" for Linux that I don't need Wine anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X