Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla's CEO Provides An End of Year Update On Sailfish OS

Phoronix: Jolla's CEO Provides An End of Year Update On Sailfish OS

Jolla CEO and co-founder Sami Pienimäki has provided an update about the company's ongoing efforts around their Sailfish OS Linux mobile operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too late for me I'm afraid. I just bought myself an Android phone (Xiaomi) to replace very aged Jolla1.

I'll need to setup LineageOS for it, and probably try MicroG.org apps in place of stock GApps.

Back in 2011 when I bought Jolla1, it was a good phone, and company had potential. Progress was very rapid. Now- it's quite stagnant and doesn't feel like it has much future. Which is extremely sad, but it is what it is...

Comment

I'm excited for when they close shop and never release the source code on anything. Just like Meego.

Comment

I'm still using the first Jolla phone, I'm not stopping until I'll be able to buy something new in Europe or it dies of old age. It still works as smoothly and fast as it did on the 1st day, android phones on the other hand are slowing down despite getting more and more beefy hardware.

Comment

I got an Xperia X with SailfishX and i think it still need some minor polishing for the OS to be at the same level as Jolla JP-1301.
          The install is most difficult from windows and the hardest bit is to unlock the sony bootloader, it's not that hard but a bit tedious.
          For me it's worth it to be able to stay away from andriod or iOS.
          The hardware in the Sony Xperia X is much better then the ageing JP-1301 that is 4 years old now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
            I'm still using the first Jolla phone, I'm not stopping until I'll be able to buy something new in Europe or it dies of old age. It still works as smoothly and fast as it did on the 1st day, android phones on the other hand are slowing down despite getting more and more beefy hardware.
            Pretty much same here. The old Jolla is fine. If I want more power, I have it on my desktop. If I want a bigger screen, I just use my computer or tablet.

Comment

So, no news about open sourcing it? Sound like it was a fake promise.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                So, no news about open sourcing it? Sound like it was a fake promise.
                You can install and build the unofficial sailfish x also known as community port on your Xperia X, the difference is mostly no android support, no MS exchange support or predictive text input.
                What do you miss?

Comment

Well, it's smooth and fast as long as you don't run any Android software. And once you start using Android software, the phone is pretty slow, and very quick to drain battery.

And Google Maps is pretty much necessary (Here maps sucks, and so does Poor Maps). Native Jolla browser is somewhat dated, so I find myself using Android Chrome or Firefox quite often (I think situation with native browser got significantly better with one of system updates this year, but still not perfect). No good native app is available to download torrents or for SIP telephony- forcing me to use Android apps. Plus if I want to play a game- nothing is available in jolla store, so I'm stuck with Android apps, which drain battery and CPU.

Android compatibility is pretty good, but should be better. And it's still on Android 4.4 in the emulator last time I checked. And even with perfect Android compatibility- hardware (Jolla1) is dated, so things would run slow. I think this phone has done as much as it could for me, used it for 6 years, it was time to switch... Damn, I will miss running a native SSH server when I'm on Android...

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post

Comment

Do you know if there's been any progress on sfdroid Android compatibility layer that's open-source?

Wiki doesn't seem to have been updated since 2016 February... Github seems a bit more active, but not much.

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                    You can install and build the unofficial sailfish x also known as community port on your Xperia X, the difference is mostly no android support, no MS exchange support or predictive text input.
                    What do you miss?

Comment

Working...
                    X