Armory Is A Very Promising 3D Game Engine With Full Blender Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armory Is A Very Promising 3D Game Engine With Full Blender Integration

Phoronix: Armory Is A Very Promising 3D Game Engine With Full Blender Integration

Armory is a promising open-source game engine that prides itself in being built around Blender...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's quite impressive for a 0.1 release.

My son wants to try his hand at making a casual 3D game, but he's got his heart set on the Unreal Engine. ...but since I've got twenty years of additional developer experience, maybe I can take whatever he writes with Unreal and rewrite it with Armory3D. Then again, there is also Ogre3D, Godot Engine, Torque3D, Panda3D, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      maybe I can take whatever he writes with Unreal and rewrite it with Armory3D
      Heh, would love to see how it goes if you end up doing that.

Comment

Hmm, cycles based renderer? Can that provide real time perfomance?

Comment

Originally posted by rogerdv View Post
          I think they mean that it uses semantics and material data from Cycles, not that it is literally cycles. You can see the limitations of their approach in that box on the table on the left. In Cycles, it is correctly quite heavily shaded on the inside; whereas with Armory (probably due to their "voxel-based global illumination" not having enough samples to recognize that obstruction) it's overlit.
          Last edited by microcode; 01 December 2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I just hope this doesn't end up like Unigine, great benchmark with no games.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I think they mean that it uses semantics and material data from Cycles, not that it is literally cycles. You can see the limitations of their approach in that box on the table on the left. In Cycles, it is correctly quite heavily shaded on the inside; whereas with Armory (probably due to their "voxel-based global illumination" not having enough samples to recognize that obstruction) it's overlit.
              Yes, it's exactly this. The resolution of voxelized scene is not high enough to properly shadow the box when cone tracing the voxel volume.

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
              I just hope this doesn't end up like Unigine, great benchmark with no games.
              I hope so too! We are planning to build a little first person shooter next, certainly nothing original but hopefully makes the engine better equipped for game production, step by step.

(lubos from armory here)

Comment

Originally posted by rogerdv View Post
                Perhaps they can use Eevee when that's released in the next stable blender update? Does real-time PBR based rendering, very much like a game engine renderer vs Cycles.

Comment

Impressive! I hope it goes well!

Comment

hmm interesting but my heart belongs to godot 3.0 ;p. Blender is ok for modelling assets

Comment

Working...
                    X