No announcement yet.

2017 Has Been The First Year In A Decade Without A Major X.Org Server Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Has Been The First Year In A Decade Without A Major X.Org Server Update

Phoronix: 2017 Has Been The First Time In A Decade Without A Major X.Org Server Update

It's been thirteen months since the release of X.Org Server 1.19 and there is no expedited effort to get the next major release out the door, but X.Org Server 1.20 is still expected to happen in the months ahead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do hope they get the 1.20 release out before the Ubuntu LTS and next fedora release

Comment

"The first time in a decade" should probably be "The first year in a decade" or something like it.

Comment

"Whether you want to argue it as Wayland beginning to take over the Linux desktop"
        Hahaha I can imagine Michael just sipping a beer and eating some popcorn as he silently watches people in the forums rabble over whether Wayland is or will replace X.Org.

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        "The first time in a decade" should probably be "The first year in a decade" or something like it.
        I think the way he phrased it made sense, since it was later clarified.

Comment

I don't think it's because it's modern or mature...
          It's really because Wayland. Which is not taking over yet. But 2018 looks promising...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            I don't think it's because it's modern or mature...
            It's really because Wayland. Which is not taking over yet. But 2018 looks promising...
            Aren't bleeding edge distros like arch or fedora using it by default already? Only the more conservative ones still offer X only? At least my arch laptop always runs gnome wayland if I don't force it not do do so ... Rest of my env is nixos so I cannot tell

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Aren't bleeding edge distros like arch or fedora using it by default already? Only the more conservative ones still offer X only? At least my arch laptop always runs gnome wayland if I don't force it not do do so ... Rest of my env is nixos so I cannot tell
              On GNOME yes, but not on Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
                Whether you want to argue it as Wayland beginning to take over the Linux desktop, X.Org Server becoming mature and modern enough that the six month release cadences are no longer warranted, or simply because Keith Packard hasn't been too intimately involved with the xorg-server process now that his day job no longer involves X.Org and he's been busy in his spare time with VR HMD improvements, the fact is this is the first time in a decade since going without an X.Org Server major release.
                D) All of the above

Comment

The mouse input lag and poor gaming experience on my RX 480 stops me from using Wayland on Ubuntu 17.10 GNOME. But I'm very happy on Xorg right now, it's super smooth.

Anyone have any updates on when the input lag, etc will be addressed in Wayland?

Comment

I'm excited about a new Xorg release because of the new features supporting Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X