Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Batch Of AMDGPU Changes For Linux 4.16: DC Multi-Display Sync, Vega Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Batch Of AMDGPU Changes For Linux 4.16: DC Multi-Display Sync, Vega Tuning

Phoronix: First Batch Of AMDGPU Changes For Linux 4.16: DC Multi-Display Sync, Vega Tuning

Alex Deucher of AMD sent in today their first batch of feature updates for Radeon/AMDGPU/TTM feature code for DRM-Next, which has already been queued, and will in turn land next year with the Linux 4.16 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will be any more changes for Linux 4.16? Or is it all?

Comment

Maybe then we can get some consumer VEGA cards with sr-iov? Please AMD? Bridgman help me out here lol

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
        There still is 3~4 weeks left of DRM-Next merge window, so yes, most likely...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
          they seem to send out weekly patch sets of all the work that's been done in the last week. so expect possibly another 3-4 patch sets

Comment

And while the software is being improved, the AMD hardware is silently crippled: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3240...rds-worse.html

Looks like you cannot buy an AMD GPU anymore without having it analyzed by some experts before.
            Congratulations, AMD, that comes close to "Electronic Arts"-style PR-desasters.

@Michael: Will Phoronix introduce some specific naming to distinguish the "normal" and the "crippled" RX 560 GPUs in future benchmark results?
            Last edited by dwagner; 06 December 2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
              the AMD hardware is silently crippled
              you are too late with obsolete news, issue is already addressed

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                issue is already addressed
                Did I miss AMD offering a full refund to those who bought RX560 GPUs in the misbelieve that their specification is according to AMD's original web page and their performance according to the reviews/tests that were published on RX560 boards? If yes, then please post a link.

Or could it be that the only reaction so far was AMD blaming their "partners" and promising some "clarification" for potential future buyers? That would be anything but "adressing the issue", but just a lame and insufficient excuse for having been caught red-handed.

Comment

The funny thing is that even the RX 460 had 1024 Steam Processors in Hardware, with only 896 enabled:

I don't know but maybe AMD did that deliberately to have "room for improvements" without changing anything in their Hardware. Or there are in fact some RX 460 Cards that have less than 1024 *working* Steam Processors and they were all cut down to improve yields.
                  I could not try to unlock my card, as Der8auer did not release a bios for my card, because there are two different versions of it and he did not want to destroy hardware of users that download the wrong one. I would have been interested how well unlocking goes with the open driver, as on windows the newer versions of the AMD Driver do not work with modified BIOS's (afaik).

Oh, just read the post i linked to again, it seems like he added different modded bios versions for my card now. Will try using them soonish.

Comment

Still no proper HDMI/DP audio though:

This makes Polaris+ hardware a no-go for HTPC usage. I wonder why AMD people do not care about this as this is an important market.

Comment

Working...
                    X