Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD Now Officially Supports 64-bit ARM

Phoronix: OpenBSD Now Officially Supports 64-bit ARM

OpenBSD has graduated its 64-bit ARM (ARM64) architecture to being officially supported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux had this since 2012.

Comment

Like OpenBSD, Linux may have *had it working* since 2012 but I notice that only recently are distros such as RedHat actually *officially supporting* it.

Regardless, I am impressed how any OS is getting code working / tested with ARM64 because there is hardly any actual stable hardware out there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Like OpenBSD, Linux may have *had it working* since 2012 but I notice that only recently are distros such as RedHat actually *officially supporting* it.

Regardless, I am impressed how any OS is getting code working / tested with ARM64 because there is hardly any actual stable hardware out there yet.
        Define 'stable hardware'. Because there are many phones and tablets shipping with ARM64 hardware to date. The past few Snapdragon SoCs use ARM64 cpu cores, and most of the new Android tablets from China have an ARM64 Mediatek chip inside.

Comment

FYI: ARM64 is found in embedded devices, which run Linux kernel and a basic OS (glibc, busybox and a little more stuff. plus a payload depending on their job), not a desktop distro.

Developers of this support tested it on such hardware.

Comment

It was only matter of time before Linux-supremacists crashed the thread. BSD thread after all, reporting some success or other. Cannot allow that...

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Because there are many phones and tablets shipping with ARM64 hardware to date. The past few Snapdragon SoCs use ARM64 cpu cores, and most of the new Android tablets from China have an ARM64 Mediatek chip inside.
              You have to disregard all of these because neither Linux distros or OpenBSD can be installed on them. I am talking server (or desktop) hardware. Locked down crap-ware need not apply.

Can anyone here point me towards an ARM64 based desktop system that I can install OpenBSD (or Linux) on? How about a laptop?... No? This is what I was getting at. I am impressed that ARM64 can be supported by *any* open-source operating system because we cannot even obtain sane development hardware. The whole ecosystem absolutely sucks.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 11 December 2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                It was only matter of time before Linux-supremacists crashed the thread. BSD thread after all, reporting some success or other. Cannot allow that...
                More like the whole damn thread got derailed at the second post, just as usual.

Apart from garegin in the first post there is no bashing on BSD, just OT stuff about Linux.

Comment

You have to disregard all of these because neither Linux distros or OpenBSD can be installed on them.
                  For what reason should they be disregarded? They run a linux kernel, and someone added support in the kernel for the architecture of these devices just so they could have a kernel to use.

Can anyone here point me towards an ARM64 based desktop system that I can install OpenBSD (or Linux) on? How about a laptop?
                  Ever heard of some mythological object called "devboard", and of a mysterious ritual called "cross-compiling"?

You don't develop for ARM on an ARM system, as most ARM processors are VERY weak because they must run all day on a battery the size of a biscuit (or have similar power/size limitations). Native compilation would take weeks or months.

Same for MIPS, ARC, and pretty much anything that isn't x86_64

Only with the most new stuff (like the newest ASUS/HP laptops with the Snapdragons) we are starting to see hardware that is anywhere near x86_64 at a similar price point, outside of specialized server stuff.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 11 December 2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

You might have ARM64 phone. You won't be putting 'generic' Linux distro on it. From this point of view I can agree that ARM64 board might not as well as not exist if this is the sole possibility around.

'real' ARM64 boards are not too commonplace. Most are ARM32
                    Last edited by aht0; 11 December 2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X