Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Tessellation Shader Support For RadeonSI NIR

Phoronix: Initial Tessellation Shader Support For RadeonSI NIR

The RadeonSI Gallium3D driver's NIR back-end is moving one step closer to feature parity with the existing OpenGL capabilities of this AMD GCN graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    I want that my computer: is fully working as is it now, is so intel free as possible and graphics drivers designed and implemented by gpu professionals. NIR is just the opposite, new wayland, easier to maintain blah blah blah.
    With ridiculous statements like that, do you not realize why so many people think you're a troll? You often say things that legitimately make sense (even if it isn't a popular opinion) but then there's stuff like what you said here where I legitimately can't understand what you're getting at, or what the problem is. You sound like an old man yelling about "back in my day..." regarding new things that are an overall improvement in the world.

How is NIR preventing you from using what you currently use? Why does it matter if you want your computer to be Intel-free (keep in mind Intel is a major contributor to mesa, so you can't avoid them entirely)? Just because NIR is being used, how does that detract from the professionalism of the developers who work with it? Since when is easier maintenance ever been a bad thing? Why does it matter if Wayland gets support (again, nothing is suggesting X11 isn't)?
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 11 December 2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I want that my computer: is fully working as is it now, is so intel free as possible and graphics drivers designed and implemented by gpu professionals. NIR is just the opposite, new wayland, easier to maintain blah blah blah.
      Rule #134 of trolling: Use proper grammar.

Comment

Intel fanboys are trolls. Read your text again and the emotion that you put in it. I feel so so sorry about your nerves. Intel did buy amd gpu for their apu, that proves who can do and what. There are many games in Steam that are not supported by the intel graphics.
        Joke's on you - I also hate Intel and most of my systems are either AMD or ARM. The last boxed Intel CPU I bought new for myself was a Pentium 4.

Now, how about answer my questions? Defend your point, if it's so important to you.

Comment

As much as I consider myself a AMD fanboy, I must admit that AMD's OpenGL drivers will not be on the current state, if not for the hard work of Intel paid developers, who implemented much of the advanced OpenGL extensions we have today, and that code was used as the basis of AMD's own implementation and all of the other teams.

If AMD guys did not have a problem with Intel code, who am I to say something against it?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Joke's on you - I also hate Intel and most of my systems are either AMD or ARM. The last boxed Intel CPU I bought new for myself was a Pentium 4.
            Do you really hate Intel?
            I choose AMD where i can but i don't hate intel, i would understand if you didn't trust intel or feels that intel done some questionable things but not hate.
            Hate is a strong word and to hate something you need to be emotionally attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              Do you really hate Intel?
              I choose AMD where i can but i don't hate intel, i would understand if you didn't trust intel or feels that intel done some questionable things but not hate.
              Hate is a strong word and to hate something you need to be emotionally attached to it.
              You bring up good points. Yes, I do legitimately hate Intel, but only as a company. However, that does not prevent me from buying their products, recommending their products, admitting they're the best at something, or admiring something they've done. For the most part, there's nothing to complain about when it comes to their products. Most of them aren't interesting, but they're not bad. The last product they made that I thought was legitimately bad (but not due to corporate decision) was Bay Trail. I also greatly appreciate what Intel has done for open-source.

All that being said, despite how I feel about the company, I make a conscious effort to not be biased against Intel, and when someone wants to be "anti-Intel" I want to know if that's purely because of principles or because there's a real issue with using them.
              Last edited by schmidtbag; 11 December 2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Intel fanboys are trolls. Read your text again and the emotion that you put in it. I feel so so sorry about your nerves. Intel did buy amd gpu for their apu, that proves who can do and what. There are many games in Steam that are not supported by the intel graphics.
                NIR has absolutely nothing related or specific to Intel other than intel decided to adopt it simply because is vastly superior to the old MESA IR and probably more specialized than TGSI that gallium uses.

NIR advantages are not related to Intel specific optimizations either but because it work on full SSA form with more verbose metadata(which is also great for SPIRV translation) which is very important for better optimization passes(all modern compilers use SSA in their IR as well including LLVM, ICC, GCC, etc.).

Please also note IR neither SSA are intel specific tech, IR's are simply a temporary container between GLSL/SPIRV/HLSL and actual hardware IR and SSA is simply put is an modern structure that allows the compiler to perform optimizations passes more efficiently(less resources at compilation more performant end result binary)

Please, please, please if you wanna keep trolling at least put the effort into understand what you are trolling about, this is getting old fast

Comment

And what about the rest of as who are not belong to any vendor? Are we not allowed to have access to knowledge? Is it forbidden to upload a useful piece of code? You can always go back to Windowz if you hate community staff. What is the point to open source something if no one else allowed to have access?

Comment

debianxfce is hopefully not using OpenGL with mesa right now!
                    Guess who wrote a lot of code of the GLSL compiler...

Comment

Working...
                    X