Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even With Wayland Around, X.Org Had A Busy 2017

Phoronix: Even With Wayland Around, X.Org Had A Busy 2017

While 2017 was the first year in a decade without seeing a major X.Org Server release, it wasn't due to lack of X.Org Server development activity. Here's a look back at the X.Org 2017 highlights...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is anyone consistently using Wayland? I've tried it several times and liked its smooth graphics, but it wouldn't work with my remote desktop app so I reverted to x.org. Also, I did not see any performance advantage to Wayland; probably the opposite.

It's looking like a technology that won't truly be replacement-ready for several years, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Is anyone consistently using Wayland? I've tried it several times and liked its smooth graphics, but it wouldn't work with my remote desktop app so I reverted to x.org. Also, I did not see any performance advantage to Wayland; probably the opposite.

It's looking like a technology that won't truly be replacement-ready for several years, unfortunately.
      It's expected though perhaps not this long. Wayland needed vendor support and vendors gave less of a shit than people anticipated.

Comment

Driver support is the least of the concerns. We need to get remote desktop working.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Oh you're not drinking the Wayland koolaid? Then you must be living in a cave somewhere! At least that's what some of the Wayland elitist believe if you don't want to join their parade. Just recently TeamViewer said they couldn't find any standards for Remote Control for Wayland and that since Wayland does not support many features necessary for this kind of operation, they have to write a different implementation for EACH Wayland compositor out there! So don't be surprised if you get some remote desktop or media application in the future that says "Only works with Gnome", or "Only for KDE". Unless a common standard is adopted, this would continue to be a nightmare for developers.

Wayland: 1 step forward, 10 steps backward.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
            Driver support is the least of the concerns. We need to get remote desktop working.
            Unless I am mistaken, there is work on that using pipewire support in mutter and https://gitlab.gnome.org/jadahl/gnome-remote-desktop

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              No, *you* need to get it working 'cause FreeRDP is part of Wayland already: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...remote_display

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

No, *you* need to get it working 'cause FreeRDP is part of Wayland already: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...remote_display
                Pretty funny. Your Arch link says there are a number of extensions which the user must get working with Wayland to get remote display working. But at the same time, it says there are no Wayland compositors that work with all the necessary extensions. So, I presume the user also gets to rewrite the compositor of their choice? Talk about a new level of user friendliness.

Comment

Working...
                X