Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 Now Bundles Open-Source Components, Lets You Mix & Match Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 Now Bundles Open-Source Components, Lets You Mix & Match Drivers

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 Now Bundles Open-Source Components, Lets You Mix & Match Drivers

There's more Radeon Linux excitement today beyond AMD finally open-sourcing their Vulkan driver. Coming out today is the AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 driver that bundles in the open-source RADV and RadeonSI drivers too, in letting you "mix and match" the driver components you want for your system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

today is the AMDay

Comment

Is this with non-pro-amdgpu kernel module in DKMS?
      Does ROCm work without -pro?

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
        Is this with non-pro-amdgpu kernel module in DKMS?
        Does ROCm work without -pro?
        If my memory serves me, they are using the same DKMS kernel module but no option of using the non-pro-patched DKMS module.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Is it now feasible to install the pro OpenGL driver alongside mesa and use one or the other like with Vulkan?

Comment

This is getting so complicated! I think I need a fucking flowchart to understand all the options.

Comment

When it comes to using the open-source driver stack as found in AMDGPU-PRO 17.50, they are basing it on Mesa 17.2.4. This is better than what is found out-of-the-box on older Ubuntu/RHEL releases, but a bit unfortunate it's not using the brand new Mesa 17.3.0 release or some Git snapshot.
              Sometimes I wonder what goes into certain people minds which otherwise look normal. Git snapshot. In an official supported driver. To customers.

Overall this is an interesting approach for AMDGPU-PRO moving forward. As a reminder though, AMDGPU-PRO officially remains limited to the enterprise/LTS distributions so if for example you are on Ubuntu 17.10, for now you do not have any AMDGPU-PRO driver support
              Since there is no stable ABI, that is the realistically next best approach for a company that wants to play nice with the open source madness and stay responsible and sane.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
                This is getting so complicated! I think I need a fucking flowchart to understand all the options.
                Very true. I'm glad that their is "some" progress in AMD open-source development, but this driver situation is one big unacceptable mess (from gamer perspective). Some games will work with AMD open-source drivers only. Some games will work on AMD proprietary drivers only. Some games will work on both, but on one or another - there will be some bugs/artefacts or performance issues.

So what user need to do? Test EVERY single game with both drivers and choose driver per app. If I understand correctly there is still no easy way to switch AMD drivers "online" (i.e. without logoff and/or reboot), so... User every time when want to play game1 (compatible with open-source driver only) need to install driver1 (open-source) and reboot computer. When user wants to play game2 (works better with proprietary) - install driver2 (proprietary) and reboot computer... Insane.

So, unfortunately, AMD is still quite weak alternative for nVidia. At least for Linux gamers that are not open-source fanatics and want games to "just work" without reboots. Not to mention that AMD performance is also worse - no matter open or proprietary driver.

Comment

Personally, I'm just going to use whatever comes with the distro, already set up. Probably that means RadeonSI for OpenGL and RADV for Vulkan. I like playing games now and then, but I'm not really a hardcore 'gamer'. So if a game doesn't work well with these drivers, I'll simply not play it until (a) it is better optimized, or (b) RadeonSI/RADV are improved.

Unless one driver happens to be tremendously better than the other, I will stick with the Mesa-based stuff.

Comment

On my older system the difference between Ubuntu's stock mesa 17.2.4+llvm5 vs oibaf's+llvm 5 is only a few fps. Padoka with llvm 6 is about 6 fps faster on average.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                    X