Fedora 27 Modular Server Gets Canned; Fedora 27 Server Classic Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 27 Modular Server Gets Canned; Fedora 27 Server Classic Released

Phoronix: Fedora 27 Modular Server Gets Canned; Fedora 27 Server Classic Released

The Fedora Project's plans on delivering an initial "Fedora 27 Modular Server" build constructed under their new packaging principles has been thwarted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora should just ditch all spins except workstation. Leave the server stuff to RHEL to do the job properly. I don't know a single person who ever said "hey, I should totally run fedora on my server".

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      Fedora should just ditch all spins except workstation. Leave the server stuff to RHEL to do the job properly. I don't know a single person who ever said "hey, I should totally run fedora on my server".
      Actually I knew a (crazy) VoIP/Telco company that swore by running (outdated) Fedora on their servers.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't know a single person who ever said "hey, I should totally run fedora on my server".
        You would be really surprised who's using current Fedora on production.

Comment

I don't know a single person who ever said "hey, I should totally run fedora on my server".
          You would be really surprised who is actually using current Fedora on production servers.

Comment

Fedora is not bad option, especially with latest easy upgrade with dnf. RHEL is mess inside, especially if you have to use cute edge technology. And second thing, when you have your dedicated team to resolve troubles and you don't run any strange applications, then paying for redhat support in hundreds for servers may generate really big costs. Of course for all people who have to have 100% stability RHEL is better option. Second thing what we want to test in near future is ALPINE.

Comment

I've run Fedora server for the past few years @home in lockstep with the Fedora workstation releases (I typically wait a month or two for the dust to settle before I jump on a version update). To be fair, it's basically just a file and print server with some streaming capabilities mixed in and nobody but me depends on it.

So it's not like it's a production quality server and for home use, I find the up-to-date packages quite refreshing. But now that Canonical and Ubuntu have finally woken up from their own little closed corner and embraced the wider ecosystem, there is less and less that is actively keeping me on Fedora anyway, as I've switched completely from Fedora WS to Solus on the client side (IMHO Solus has got a better workflow for maintainers, which makes it much less of a chore to keep packages fresh) and just run Ubuntu and Fedora VMs for reference in terms of design choices.

The new better dependency functionality in RPM will be interesting to follow. So far, I've not been won over by the 'software groups' implementation in DNF+RPM if I'm completely honest.

Comment

i cant see Fedora Modular being released in production untill F30 at least. this Modular system is gonna take some time before its fool proof

Comment

Fedora should just ditch all spins except workstation. Leave the server stuff to RHEL to do the job properly.
                  * CentOS.
                  The "free" version of RHEL is CentOS. (still a RedHat-approved and sponsored project).

Please don't be silly, there is people running Windows on their servers, of all things.

Comment

Originally posted by mskarbek View Post
                    You would be really surprised who's using current Fedora on production.

Well? We are waiting!

Comment

Working...
                    X