Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SilverStone TS421S 4-Disk SATA/SAS Disk Enclosure

Phoronix: SilverStone TS421S 4-Disk SATA/SAS Disk Enclosure

While SilverStone is mostly known for their computer cases, power supplies, and other peripherals, with the TS421S they have a compelling four-disk drive enclosure on their hands. The TS421S drive storage device supports up to four SAS/SATA 2.5-inch drives over a single mini-SAS SFF-8088 cable.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the slowest disk enclosure I've ever seen.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    supports up to 6Bits/s transfers to each bay
    Also:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    SF8088
    (it should be SFF)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      This is the slowest disk enclosure I've ever seen.
      hah thanks, as always.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I know that Hardware canucks had trouble with this enclosure and the amd Ryzen platform. Apperantly not enough sata signal strength, this review was from october. Could you test this enclosure also on a Ryzen computer? '

Kind regards. B.

Comment

So it’s External, but I have to have FOUR available SATA lines on my motherboard, and TWO PCIe slots to use it... externally. It’s limited to whatever Disk level (RAID or other) support your motherboard has, so how is it even “removable” to another system without extensive setup?

I like gadgets and it looks cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mabhatter View Post
            So it’s External, but I have to have FOUR available SATA lines on my motherboard, and TWO PCIe slots to use it... externally. It’s limited to whatever Disk level (RAID or other) support your motherboard has, so how is it even “removable” to another system without extensive setup?
            Who uses garbage motherboard fake-raid? No one who has a clue anyways. You'd use mdadm or LVM or ZFS or BTRFS of course to stripe or mirror your data.

Comment

Originally posted by Mabhatter View Post
              That's the dumb way.
              The smart way is to use a dedicated power brick and a SAS card with an external port already, good ones can be found for less than 100$ used.

If you use Linux or FreeBSD you use MD raid (software raid) or btrfs or ZFS filesystems, so you can have all RAID levels you want regardless of hardware.

On Windows you'd better buy a dedicated RAID card anyway as the onboard RAID is garbage (and is usually limited to RAID1/0), so you just move the card.

Comment

Dedicated hardware RAID is the way to go here. I'm set up with some surplus IBM M5015 controllers, which are re-badged LSI controllers (They work very well) and internal quad drive bays. It makes things much easier, and faster.

Comment

Originally posted by dweigert View Post
                  Dedicated hardware RAID is the way to go here. I'm set up with some surplus IBM M5015 controllers, which are re-badged LSI controllers (They work very well) and internal quad drive bays. It makes things much easier, and faster.
                  Last time I looked into them they required a key to enable RAID5/6 and faster caches. Better some Dell Perc H310 (same hardware, can run RAID5/6), still easy to find used for similar price. It's still entry-level stuff though (low/no cache) so don't expect very high performance (especially on RAID5/6).

I always prefer ZFS over hardware raid where possible, so I take low-end SAS RAID cards and cross-flash them to dumb SAS controller cards, and there the M5015 is fine like also the Perc H200 or H310.
                  Btw, this is a common rite of passage for many FreeNAS users, as with such card + 6 mobo Sata ports you can install 14 drives and make a monster ZFS storage build.

Comment

Working...
                  X