Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How The Radeon RX Vega Performance Has Evolved Since Launch

Phoronix: How The Radeon RX Vega Performance Has Evolved Since Launch

As part of our end-of-year benchmarking, a Phoronix Premium supporter had brought up the idea of seeing how the Radeon RX Vega Linux driver performance has evolved since launch. Ask and you shall receive: here's some numbers showing the state of the Radeon RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64 performance with the open-source RadeonSI+AMDGPU performance as of this week compared to back on launch-day.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks Michael. Strange that Dota somehow regressed while all others showed nice improvements.
    Anyway, I think Vega performance needs to get better to get where it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
      Thanks Michael. Strange that Dota somehow regressed while all others showed nice improvements.
      Anyway, I think Vega performance needs to get better to get where it should be.
      Yeah, Dota 2 (Source 2) is in a pretty good state when it comes to graphics API (they support DX9, DX11, Vulkan and OpenGL) usage. From what I've heard they don't really do stupid stuff other (especially older) games may tend to do. It still could be a game bug, but if someone can verify it's a driver bug (by bisecting the offending commit? ), that'd be great.

Comment

Even Vega 64 still struggles with the Witcher 3 in Wine. It's way better than any Nvidia card, but it can't maintain stable 60 fps still.

Comment

Dota 2 always seams the odd one out. Some times better some times wors.

Comment

Does the LLVM revision make a significant performance difference? I've got 3.8, so I'm wondering.

Comment

Thank you. I thought everything has regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Particle View Post
                Does the LLVM revision make a significant performance difference? I've got 3.8, so I'm wondering.
                If you use GCN card answer is yes. You really should try it

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post

If you use GCN card answer is yes. You really should try it
                  Interesting. I'll try updating to Debian's testing branch so I can use LLVM 5. I'm using a Vega 64 card with a 4.15.0-rc kernel right now so I have video output but no hardware acceleration. Life is pretty rough.

Comment

These benchmarks look very beautiful.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Witcher 3 in Wine.

Comment

Working...
                    X