No announcement yet.

Ethereum GPU Cryptocurrency AMD/NVIDIA Mining Performance For Christmas 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethereum GPU Cryptocurrency AMD/NVIDIA Mining Performance For Christmas 2017

Phoronix: Ethereum GPU Cryptocurrency AMD/NVIDIA Mining Performance For Christmas 2017

With the end of the year quickly approaching, here's a look at how the current AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce GPU cryptocurrency mining performance is playing out for Ethereum Ethminer with OpenCL. Tests were done on 14 graphics cards using the latest drivers and in addition to looking at the raw GPU mining performance are also performance-per-Watt and performance-per-dollar metrics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tildearrow
    1060 beating 580 in power efficiency... Does this mean prices on AMD cards will finally drop?
    Probably not. I have mates that are doing crypto currency mining as a business. They buy the cards that make the most sense for their specific mining purpose.

The important part is that they are seeing a <1 year return on investment - and as a new business that is amazing.

$/hash is not the main metric (although it certainly is influencing)

Comment

Reading my mind again, Michael. Been mining me some ether this week on my 8GB RX 480 with ethminer (why wasn't I doing this sooner?)

I had to switch back from Ubuntu 17.10 to 16.04 yesterday because ROCm 1.7 is using dkms now (but apparently they added the previous package of 1.6 again that included its own kernel if you need to stay on 17.10 and aren't using LTS).

On 16.04 LTS, I can run either AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 with OpenCL support (install command was ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=legacy for my RX 480, but if you run Vega or newer it's ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=rocm), or I can go with a hybrid approach and just install the AMDGPU-PRO graphics stack (./amdgpu-pro-install -y) and then install ROCm 1.7 separately (sudo apt install rocm-dkms). Large page support was enabled by default (amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=9) so I didn't have to add that to my kernel boot parameters.

ROCm 1.7 shows a newer ver, OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP.internal (2545.0), while AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 shows OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (2527.3)

Here's a screenshot of my setup currently, this is with memory OC'd, core underclocked, and BIOS modded with PolarisBiosEditor using the one-click memory patch on my stock bios and updated with the linux version of atiflash (gave me an additional 5 Mh/s in less than 5 minutes of work).

For those on Ubuntu 17.10/ROCm 1.6, the speeds have been very similar for me on 16.04/AMDGPU-PRO and 16.04/ROCm 1.7 fyi.

I could get about 29.5 Mh/s on this card but I'm saving lots of power and heat by downclocking the core from 1303 to 1191 (any lower than 1191 and Mh/s starts to suffer), so I'm content with 28.5 Mh/s given the wattage, temps, and oc.

Also using latest ethminer built from github (0.13.0 which includes a new --cl-parallel-hash thats adds about 1-2 Mh/s), and the command:
      ethminer -HWMON -G -F http://eth-us.dwarfpool.com:80/0xWallet. I noticed --cl-local-work 256 and --cl-global-work 16384 were actually slowing it down a tad, so I've left the default options in case anyone was wondering.
      Last edited by perpetually high; 23 December 2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

ROCm still requires PCI-e 3.0 ?

Comment

ROCm needs PCI-e 3.0, it needs Atomics and only 3.0 could delivery it.
          ROCm Platform leverages modern CPUs supporting PCI Express 3.0 or greater, exploiting advanced capabilities including PCIe Atomics (Fetch and Add, Compare and Swap, Unconditional Swap, AtomicOp Completion).

Comment

Very nice article,
            More about mining, monero, overclock/underclock, bios flash please
            It's hot topic on google search, hope you get more exposure

Comment

Pretty impressive showing from ROCM

Comment

Another proof that 1070 is THE perfect eth card.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  Reading my mind again, Michael. Been mining me some ether this week on my 8GB RX 480 with ethminer (why wasn't I doing this sooner?)

I had to switch back from Ubuntu 17.10 to 16.04 yesterday because ROCm 1.7 is using dkms now (but apparently they added the previous package of 1.6 again that included its own kernel).

Either way, I'm very happy with 16.04 and AMDGPU-PRO (install command was ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=legacy for my RX 480). Large page support was enabled by default (amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=9) so I didn't have to add that to my kernel boot parameters.

Here's a screenshot of my setup currently, this is with memory OC'd, core underclocked, and BIOS modded with PolarisBiosEditor using the one-click memory patch on my stock bios and updated with the linux version of atiflash (gave me an additional 5 Mh/s in less than 5 minutes of work).

On Ubuntu 17.10/ROCm 1.6, speeds were very similar (but I wasn't able to overclock with the OhGodATool cli, so I was getting about 27 Mh/s after the BIOS mod.

I could get about 29.5 Mh/s on this card but I'm saving lots of power and heat by downclocking the core from 1303 to 1191 (any lower than 1191 and Mh/s starts to suffer), so I'm content with 28.5 Mh/s given the wattage, temps, and oc.

Also using latest ethminer built from github (0.13.0 which includes a new --cl-parallel-hash thats adds about 1-2 Mh/s), and the command:
                  ethminer -HWMON -G -F http://eth-us.dwarfpool.com:80/0xWallet. I noticed --cl-local-work 256 and --cl-global-work 16384 were actually slowing it down a tad, so I've left the default options in case anyone was wondering.
                  Done the same to my rx 480 BIOS except 1226 mhz core:
                  Code:
                  m 14:23:17|ethminer Speed 29.08 Mh/s gpu/0 29.08 [A199+3:R1+0:F0] Time: 07:34
                  ℹ 14:23:17|cl-0 Solution found; Submitting to eu1.ethermine.org ...
                  ℹ 14:23:17|cl-0 Nonce: 0x5376af57436dc5a9
                  ℹ 14:23:17|stratum B-) Submitted and accepted.
                  m 14:23:17|ethminer Speed 29.08 Mh/s gpu/0 29.08 [A200+3:R1+0:F0] Time: 07:34
                  Except i use padoka mesa clover opencl becouse mobo and etherminer 0.12.0. Will try 0.13 now. Thank you.

Comment

Ethermine 0.13 didn't work out for me. Breaks compatibility with mesa opencl.
                    Is there a way to edit posts here?

Comment

Working...
                    X