Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gallium3D Made Impressive Performance Gains In 2017

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gallium3D Made Impressive Performance Gains In 2017

Yesterday I provided some benchmarks showing how the Radeon RX Vega performance has evolved since launch but if looking more broadly at how the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D Linux gaming performance has advanced over the course of 2017, the gains become much more profound. Here are tests of the open-source driver state over 2017 when testing an older Radeon HD 7950 (GCN 1.0) graphics card as well as a Radeon R9 Fury and RX 580 graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congratulations to AMD and independent developers . Great stuff. Now if only prices were msrp..

Comment

How many years have passed since Fury was launched? People are complaining about Vega launch perf, but I remember when Fury was launched and RadeonSI wasn't that great as it is today, so I hope that it doesn't take this long to Vega shine

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        How many years have passed since Fury was launched? People are complaining about Vega launch perf, but I remember when Fury was launched and RadeonSI wasn't that great as it is today, so I hope that it doesn't take this long to Vega shine
        The Fury did definitely take a while to mature. Some reviewers have revisited Vega and there does seem to be some improvements to it already. As I've said before, Vega is a good GPU, just not really that great for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Vega is a good GPU, just not really that great for gaming.
          I think it pretty good for gaming but we need something equal to radeon chill in linux to get good performance/watt.
          Last edited by Nille_kungen; 20 December 2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I'd be curious to see the 7950 on amdgpu instead of radeon to see if part of the benefits is from there.
            If not, that'd mean nothing major for SI anymore and maybe time to stop using git and move back to stable after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              I'd be curious to see the 7950 on amdgpu instead of radeon to see if part of the benefits is from there.
              If not, that'd mean nothing major for SI anymore and maybe time to stop using git and move back to stable after all these years.
              I did a test a while back with a 7970 and got some nice gains.
              OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

There is even more to expect with sisched, but I heard you need latest llvm.
              My guess is, that theres not much in the tank for SI cards in mesa. There are simply not enough devs. Their bug management is miserable. Every new optimization leads to a small bug somewhere, so they likely want to avoid that and improve current gens.
              Which doesnt mean you cant expect Performance improvements, but they are likely to expect in the kernel and llvm.

Comment

Originally posted by Strunkenbold View Post

I did a test a while back with a 7970 and got some nice gains.
                OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

There is even more to expect with sisched, but I heard you need latest llvm.
                My guess is, that theres not much in the tank for SI cards in mesa. There are simply not enough devs. Their bug management is miserable. Every new optimization leads to a small bug somewhere, so they likely want to avoid that and improve current gens.
                Which doesnt mean you cant expect Performance improvements, but they are likely to expect in the kernel and llvm.
                It looks nice indeed, but were you using the same kernel with both? I see 2 different kernels in the hardware box. If so, then who knows what happened in between...

As for sisched, I've never tried it, I was about to once but then read Marek saying it wasn't useful anymore to globally enable it, better to autoselect it with driconf as needed, and never tried.

Shouldn't optimizations in radeons benefit most supported cards? I assumed since it was a common driver that most things would apply, unlike with lower level stuff.

Thanks!

Comment

Given those exciting test results, i'm considering AMD to be my next card, but still i wonder:
                  * how's the performance per buck compared to nvidia proprietary driver?
                  * Do games have problem running on AMD?

Comment

No one comments on the fact, that's this resolution is kind of unfair for the HD 7950.

Micheal, did you make sure there's no overflow in the HD 7950 VRAM? I'm pretty sure the HD 7950 would look much better on Full HD. I'm not sure if there'll be more performance gains then or if the improvements will be on the same relative distance they're now.

Comment

Working...
                    X