No announcement yet.

A Proposal To Update Ubuntu's Kernel/Mesa/GNOME Components On A Monthly Basis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Proposal To Update Ubuntu's Kernel/Mesa/GNOME Components On A Monthly Basis

Phoronix: A Proposal To Update Ubuntu's Kernel/Mesa/GNOME Components On A Monthly Basis

It's not quite the Ubuntu rolling-release process that some have proposed over the years, but a new proposal is being formulated for shipping updates to key Ubuntu system components on a monthly basis rather than having to wait six months for updates to the Linux kernel, Mesa, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Because six months old software is too old, aparently...

Comment

Or they could easily use the latest major version of components like Gnome/Kernel/Mesa etc., create their snapshot and only update the minor versions of the component (most similar Fedora's policy) for the rest of the snapshots support time. But I guess it's too simple and not complex enough.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        feedback is being accepted via Git.
        There you go:

https://gitlab.com/BryanQuigley/brya...y.com/issues/1

Comment

hell yeah, it'd bring more opportunities to brick things faster, harder, scooter!

Comment

Please upvote:

The Monthly Update Cadence is not implemented into Ubuntu yet: https://bryanquigley.com/pages/papers/ubuntu-monthly-update-cadence.html Please implement it ASAP ;). This...

Thanks.

Comment

Any software which doesn't break its APIs between versions should be a candidate for monthly updates in my opinion. Gstreamer and ffmpeg are stable and if they are ambitious they could even add user-facing applications such as Firefox, Chromium and VLC.

Comment

I've recently migrated my gaming machine from Arch to Fedora because I wanted a more curated experience and got tired of small issues. For example, I couldn't immediately get an 8bitdo controller working on Arch, and I knew I had a bit of reading ahead of me on bluetooth, game controllers and whatever else on the Arch wiki. In the same situation, with the same DE on Fedora, the controller showed up and worked straight out of the box, no fuss.

But now the 4.15 kernel is around the corner there's some regret because I really could do with HDMI audio through my 480. My choices are:
                - Cope without HDMI audio until about May when the next release of Fedora is projected
                - Hope the guy who did the copr repo for the AMD kernel patches sorts out support for Fedora 27
                - Learn about compiling my own kernel
                - Go back to Arch

None of those seems appealing. I don't think the majority of people who run rolling-release distros need rolling release for every piece of software. I couldn't care less if I'm running an older version of my file browser. The advantages of rolling release for me are the kernel and mesa, everything else isn't a priority. If they do this, I'd really consider migrating to Ubuntu because it gives me everything I want. I really think it's a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  But now the 4.15 kernel is around the corner there's some regret because I really could do with HDMI audio through my 480. My choices are:
                  - Cope without HDMI audio until about May when the next release of Fedora is projected
                  - Hope the guy who did the copr repo for the AMD kernel patches sorts out support for Fedora 27
                  - Learn about compiling my own kernel
                  - Go back to Arch

None of those seems appealing. I don't think the majority of people who run rolling-release distros need rolling release for every piece of software. I couldn't care less if I'm running an older version of my file browser. The advantages of rolling release for me are the kernel and mesa, everything else isn't a priority. If they do this, I'd really consider migrating to Ubuntu because it gives me everything I want. I really think it's a good idea.
                  Fedora updates the kernel. Just do dnf upgrade --refresh to get major releases. No need for a copr repo or building a kernel. The copr repo was useful for when DC was out of tree. Major kernel updates usually land a couple weeks after they get released upstream or you can enable rawhide to get them as soon as they are packaged at your own risk.

Comment

Boy oh boy would I like to have stable monthly mesa updates on Ubuntu and derivatives.

Comment

Working...
                    X