Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcan 0.5.4 Display Server Released With Durden 0.4 Desktop

Phoronix: Arcan 0.5.4 Display Server Released With Durden 0.4 Desktop

Remember Arcan? The Linux display server built off a game engine. The project is ending 2017 with the release of the Arcan 0.5.4 display server and its associated Durden v0.4 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those videos get more and more impressive.

Code:
    git clone [email protected]:letoram/arcan.git ; cd arcan ; find . -type f -name '*.c' -print0 | xargs -0 cat | wc -l
    Cloning into 'arcan'... # omitted the rest
    ...322,000 lines of code, also about 88,000 lines of header files, and it's mostly a one-man show. That's an amazing project.

Comment

I think using a game engine is genius. You'll get hardware acceleration and multi-threading with the ability to display whatever you want, wherever you want it right out of the box.

Comment

OMG, they got wobbly windows 3.0 (clothy windows).

On a more serious note, this is shaping up very well so far.

Comment

Here's a post from one of the developers of Arcan recently posted on reddit. It's a wayland compositor that can recover from crashes, and some of it is demod there.

A commonly held misbelief about one of the possibly negative consequences with migrating from X11 to Wayland is that the system as a whole will become more brittle due to the merger of the display …

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            OMG, they got wobbly windows 3.0 (clothy windows)..
            The cloth drawing is only updated at 25fps though, which is pathetic, and there's no interaction between the wind in the snow particle system and the cloth - we must go deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
              Those videos get more and more impressive.

Code:
              git clone [email protected]:letoram/arcan.git ; cd arcan ; find . -type f -name '*.c' -print0 | xargs -0 cat | wc -l
              Cloning into 'arcan'... # omitted the rest
              ...322,000 lines of code, also about 88,000 lines of header files, and it's mostly a one-man show. That's an amazing project.
              Thanks ;-)
              Depressingly enough, there's also all the little side projects, discarded experiments, all the lua scripts, various toolkit backends and some non-public stuff. In my defence, some parts are about 15 years old by now.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyloglad View Post

Thanks ;-)
                Depressingly enough, there's also all the little side projects, discarded experiments, all the lua scripts, various toolkit backends and some non-public stuff. In my defence, some parts are about 15 years old by now.
                I'm in my 40s, and the grand total code count of all of my open source contributions comes in at the low 100s. So in my view you're a software superhero. Nice work.

Comment

Working...
                X