Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk Of VIA Getting Back Into The x86 CPU Space With Zhaoxin

Phoronix: Talk Of VIA Getting Back Into The x86 CPU Space With Zhaoxin

Making the news rounds again is word of Zhaoxin Semiconductor that is jointly owned by VIA working on modern and competitive x86 processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:
    ​​​​
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Feel free to discuss i nthe foruyms.

Comment

I am more curious about ARM with x86 emulation like Qualcomm is reportedly working on:

Intel recently made an unprecedented public challenge to Microsoft and Qualcomm that basically told the latter two companies: if you ship an x86 instruction set architecture (ISA) emulator, we’re coming after you. But does Intel actually have a case? Let's take a deeper look.

If there are 2 additional competitors in the x86 space (via++, Qualcomm) with advanced fab capabilities it will be very interesting for consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
        I am more curious about ARM with x86 emulation like Qualcomm is reportedly working on:

Intel recently made an unprecedented public challenge to Microsoft and Qualcomm that basically told the latter two companies: if you ship an x86 instruction set architecture (ISA) emulator, we’re coming after you. But does Intel actually have a case? Let's take a deeper look.

If there are 2 additional competitors in the x86 space (via++, Qualcomm) with advanced fab capabilities it will be very interesting for consumers.
        Does x86 emulation reduce the patent problems?

Comment

still waiting for the VIA Isaiah 2 that was said to be released around 2014, ... ;-)

Comment

Do you have much faith in a third-party with an x86 license able to come up with a CPU in 2018 that can compete with AMD Ryzen and Intel Kabylake/Coffeelake?
            If they're available without an ME/PSP equivalent, they might be able to remain competitive purely as an alternative to drawing from an inevitably dwindling supply of old processors.

Comment

Pretty interesting - I'd be really like to see benchmarks of this some day.

Comment

The VIA X86 chips cannot be compared to Ryzen processors for the simplest reason that are not trying to take any performance "crown".
                They are designed for a really low end solution and to be a dirt cheap, something like the Intel Atom processors.
                Back then when they were available, there was no Atom processor, today there is so I'm not sure if their solution would be worth much. Maybe if the processor won't be glued to the motherboard (As the Atom solution that Intel is selling these days)

Comment

I'd be more curious to see what backdoor bullshit they manage to integrate in this thing to please the Chinese government.

That said, really hope they can make a x86 system with less BS than current Intel and AMD designs.

Comment

Originally posted by hetzbh View Post
                    The VIA X86 chips cannot be compared to Ryzen processors
                    It's the new design from this "Zhaoxin" company that is compared to Ryzen. VIA seems to just provide the x86 license for them.

Comment

Working...
                    X