With Qt 6.0 Development To Heat Up, 2018 Should Be Exciting For Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Qt 6.0 Development To Heat Up, 2018 Should Be Exciting For Qt

Phoronix: With Qt 6.0 Development To Heat Up, 2018 Should Be Exciting For Qt

Qt 6.0 planning has begun and we should be hearing more about this next major tool-kit update as the year goes on. Here's some of what we can expect from Qt in the near future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE users: Yet another new major version? Nooooooo not again!!!

(For each new Qt major version, the KDE devs have started all over and created nothing like the previous KDE version.)
    Last edited by andreano; 02 January 2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

All that ideas are backward compatible, so why new major version? What they are going to drop?

Comment

Just when i thought KDE had got stable for daily usage....

Comment

Oh god, no please no. Not again.

Comment

Please make QML integration with QWidgets prettier. A QML text label with rounded corners in a QWidget with non-rounded corners is really a pain to look at... (See the new system settings or the networmanager applet configuration)
            Also QML is currently extremely slow and disk instensive. (at startup)

Now technical stuff:
            QObject descendants could finally support being templated

Comment

What I would like to see is Qt 6 adopt fully the latest C++ standards and drop all code that now exists in better form in STL (collections, smart pointers, etc). Oh yea and namespaces and modules possibly too.

Comment

If KDE will start a new major version I think will depend if the changes from Qt 5 to 6 will end up being incompatible again. I hope not, but we won't know that for a while But if it is the case, it will affect Frameworks and Plasma more then applications.
                And the work into splitting the project which was done from KDE4 to 5 should show Dividends. I personally don't see a complete reboot again.

Comment

Where did you get the info on a "single source shading language"? I am looking for the day when I can do graphics (with compute interop) in a similar fashion as one can do with SYCL.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                    KDE users: Yet another new major version? Nooooooo not again!!!

(For each new Qt major version, the KDE devs have started all over and created nothing like the previous KDE version.)
                    Meanwhile, people keep bashing GNOME while KDE is doing the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X