Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linspire Is Back From The Dead In 2018

Phoronix: Linspire Is Back From The Dead In 2018

Remember Linspire? The Linux distribution formerly known as "Lindows" is back from the dead.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Neat, I remember the original and tried it out even. I could see the direction they were headed, but it felt "not quite there yet". With all of the advancements in Wine in recent years, I could see this being an interesting option for some folks. I like how they did the free vs. commercial split, seems like a clean approach.

Comment

Looks like some back-room PC vendor bought the name from the long-defunct Xandros Corporation (which had bought the closet-sized operation to get at the CNR code, which as it turns out never really existed). Linspire was a 6-employee organization working out of an industrial condo in San Diego consisting of a large office for the CEO and chief slick salesman and a closet for the rest of the staff to share with their server. Xandros went under short months after acquiring Linspire. It turns out there is just no market for selling desktop Linux installations.

Well, best of luck to these new guys, selling desktop Linux licenses for USD 80 a pop. It drove Corel Linux under, it drove its successors Xandros and Linspire under, and Red Hat and Canonical have long since abandoned that market in favour of something that actually generates positive cashflow. Maybe this time it will work?

Comment

Best of luck to these folks, I somehow doubt consumer-like users will be interested in paying 80$ for a one-year support contract for Ubuntu and Wine.

Comment

I could imagine paying for a professionally maintained and tweaked Linux Variant. But for bundles and tweaks I won`t shell out 80 dollars a year (likely no updates without?).

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
            I could imagine paying for a professionally maintained and tweaked Linux Variant. But for bundles and tweaks I won`t shell out 80 dollars a year (likely no updates without?).
            There's Ubuntu(Canonical) and Redhat for that. Linux Mint also has paid professional support.

Do you really trust these clowns?

IIRC they did a pretty bad job last time.

Comment

i think it is the same guy that runs black lab linux.ill have to give this a spin and check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
                Do you really trust these clowns?

IIRC they did a pretty bad job last time.
                To be fair, it's not the same people. They just bought the brand.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                  Looks like some back-room PC vendor bought the name from the long-defunct Xandros Corporation (which had bought the closet-sized operation to get at the CNR code, which as it turns out never really existed). Linspire was a 6-employee organization working out of an industrial condo in San Diego consisting of a large office for the CEO and chief slick salesman and a closet for the rest of the staff to share with their server. Xandros went under short months after acquiring Linspire. It turns out there is just no market for selling desktop Linux installations.

Well, best of luck to these new guys, selling desktop Linux licenses for USD 80 a pop. It drove Corel Linux under, it drove its successors Xandros and Linspire under, and Red Hat and Canonical have long since abandoned that market in favour of something that actually generates positive cashflow. Maybe this time it will work?
                  Xandros represents that weird underside of Linux revenue models.

Xandros sold one of two revenue generating products they had (Scalix) to some dentist practice software company in Florida.

The only thing left of Xandros is BridgeWays and they are in New Haven CT and write Microsoft System Center components for cross platform management.

They (Xandros) seem to exist as a corporate shell for Andreas Typaldos, who seems more involved with another of his spin off's, Arkados.

Comment

Little typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    BLeachbit

Comment

Working...
                    X