Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 28 To Work On Better VirtualBox Integration, Hardening Packages & Stronger Crypto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 28 To Work On Better VirtualBox Integration, Hardening Packages & Stronger Crypto

Phoronix: Fedora 28 To Work On Better VirtualBox Integration, Hardening Packages & Stronger Crypto

With more developers returning to their activities after the holidays, feature work on Fedora 28 is heating up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When will VirtualBox host kernel driver be mainlined? I don't use virtualBox because of this, it taints kernel. And does not play well with KVM, can't work at same time. Those two are deal breaker for me

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
      When will VirtualBox host kernel driver be mainlined? I don't use virtualBox because of this, it taints kernel. And does not play well with KVM, can't work at same time. Those two are deal breaker for me
      The VirtualBox developers do not want to stabilize the interface that is used between the host kernel modules and the VirtualBox application. Consequently, it can't go into the kernel because there's not a stable interface between kernel and user space.

Comment

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post

The VirtualBox developers do not want to stabilize the interface that is used between the host kernel modules and the VirtualBox application. Consequently, it can't go into the kernel because there's not a stable interface between kernel and user space.
        Red Hat said that VirtualBox devs have agreed to stabilize the interfaces required for (iirc) the vboxvideo kernel driver to be upstreamed.

Comment

Since the normal guy is sick, typo:
          VirtualBox Guest Integration - This is aobut having the VirtualBox guest drivers and tools ship

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
            Red Hat said that VirtualBox devs have agreed to stabilize the interfaces required for (iirc) the vboxvideo kernel driver to be upstreamed.
            And put one of their men on preparing said driver for upstreaming https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...boxvideo-Plans

This is the current repo where that driver is https://github.com/jwrdegoede/vboxvideo

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
              why kernel taint is a deal breaker?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                why kernel taint is a deal breaker?
                Bug reports

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  And put one of their men on preparing said driver for upstreaming https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...boxvideo-Plans

This is the current repo where that driver is https://github.com/jwrdegoede/vboxvideo
                  Actually the vboxdriver has been in the mainline kernel under drivers/staging/vboxvideo for a while now. That github repo is somewhat oldish and should no longer be used.

The vboxguest driver has been queued up for merging into the kernel during the 4.16 cycle. This means that of the vbox guest drivers only the vboxsf driver is not (yet) part of the mainline kernel.

Comment

Working...
                  X