Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Rolls Out Their New CPUs With Radeon Vega M Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Rolls Out Their New CPUs With Radeon Vega M Graphics

Kicking off CES 2018, Intel launched their new CPUs featuring integrated Radeon Vega M Graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. This solves most of my problem with Intel products. I finally have Intel products I can recommend to average regular everyday people again...

Comment

Is Meltdown bug fixed is those processors?

Comment

Today Intel has released the first of these products targeting notebooks, mini PCs, and 2-in-1s. There initially are two lines both featuring 8th Gen Cores. One lines features Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics with an overall TDP of 65 Watts and the other features Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics at a 100W TDP and is unlocked.
        100W TDP for a CPU targeted at "notebooks, mini PCs, and 2-in-1s"?
        You need some serious cooling solution to be able to handle that in that formfactor, but if the iMac Pro can it's probably not impossible just very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

You need some serious cooling solution to be able to handle that in that formfactor, but if the iMac Pro can it's probably not impossible just very expensive.
          The iMac Pro probably handles it the same way the MacBook Pro does.. By throttling if you use the power it has for more than a second at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Well, that is not just CPU... maybe picture could says more than words You should count how much on normal boards CPU+GPU+GDDR5 use, let alone would be much bigger and for that perf would probably eat even 200 W

Last edited by dungeon; 08 January 2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Intel Rolls Out Their New CPUs With Radeon Vega M Graphics

It will be quite exciting to see these Core i7 8809G, i7 8709G, i7 8705G, and i8305G parts with their Kaby Lake cores and Radeon graphics. The Kabylake processors are all quad core / eight thread designs and CPU turbo frequencies that go up near and above 4GHz.
              Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake (8th gen)?

Comment

Originally posted by konserw View Post
                Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake (8th gen)?
                Kaby.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  You should count how much on normal boards CPU+GPU+GDDR5 use, let alone would be much bigger and for that perf would probably eat even 200 W
                  Sure, but that's 200W which are spread onto multiple components, so maybe 65W for the CPU, 80W for the GPU and a few watts for the GDDR5.
                  It's a lot easier to cool two 65W components than to cool one 100W component.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Nice. This solves most of my problem with Intel products. I finally have Intel products I can recommend to average regular everyday people again...
                    Why exactly about this is recommendable vs what Intel has been doing? For most people, Intel's GPUs are plenty good enough for everyday tasks. Obviously for gamers it's not sufficient but there have been discrete graphics for Intel laptops. Aside from being on the same chip (but not the same die), these Vega M graphics aren't really any different than any other discrete mobile GPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X