AMD Cuts Ryzen Prices, Confirms New Hardware, New Ryzen CPUs With Vega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Cuts Ryzen Prices, Confirms New Hardware, New Ryzen CPUs With Vega

Phoronix: AMD Cuts Ryzen Prices, Confirms New Hardware, New Ryzen CPUs With Vega

While Intel announced their new CPUs with Radeon Vega M graphics, AMD had a host of announcements on their own for getting CES 2018 started with some excitement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any information as to whether Zen2 will provide any silicon level support to help mitigate Spectre

Comment

Interesting. It seems Intel's new APUs with Vega are targeting a higher performance bracket than AMD's new APUs with Vega? 20-24 CUs for the Intel products and only 8-11 CUs for the AMD products. It makes sense I guess from a historical perspective, but....

Comment

And, where are 35W or 45W high-performance Ryzen Mobile CPUs for laptops?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Interesting. It seems Intel's new APUs with Vega are targeting a higher performance bracket than AMD's new APUs with Vega? 20-24 CUs for the Intel products and only 8-11 CUs for the AMD products. It makes sense I guess from a historical perspective, but....
          Yes they are.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
            And, where are 35W or 45W high-performance Ryzen Mobile CPUs for laptops?
            they probably got the message in the last 3 years that no laptop manufacturer will ever use a 35W or 45W APU, just because they think consumers will prefer buying laptops with crappier and more power-hungry "dedicated" GPUs instead if they think they need a GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Wasn't this obvious from the start? These AMD APU's are traditional APU's made from a single chip put inside a typical CPU sized package. The Intel+Vega product is two larger chips put on a bigger package which doesn't resemble a traditional CPU.

Comment

That is all nice and dandy, but please AMD, can you ask your pals at Global Foundries to start making memory chips? The Samsung/Hynix cartel managed to elevate DDR4 prices so high that now 16GB of RAM costs the same as a Ryzen 7 here where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                  Any information as to whether Zen2 will provide any silicon level support to help mitigate Spectre
                  Unlikely. CPU design is a multi year process. Though who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                    Unless they knew about it for a long time, no.
                    IMHO it's also very unlikely that Zen2 will include any such mitigations since AMD indicated that its design is finished.
                    Earliest would be Zen3, or Zen2+ if they really want to fix it.
                    I worked on CPUs and believe me, bringing a CPU design from concept to production is a _serious_ amount of work and takes a _lot_ of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X