AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by knutbert View Post
    Could you post the error messages you are getting?

Code:
    dmesg|grep fireglx
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep \(EE
    Regards,
    knutbert
    Frome DMESG:
    Code:
    [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 928 MBytes.
    [fglrx] ASYNCIO init succeed!
    [fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
    [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.45.4 [Jan 16 2008] on minor 0
    [fglrx:firegl_cail_init] *ERROR* CAIL: CAILEarlyASICInit failed, error 1
    [fglrx:firegl_init_asic] *ERROR* Failed to initialize ASIC.
    [fglrx:drm_vmalloc] *ERROR* [mempages] Allocating 0 bytes
    [fglrx:firegl_init_pcie] *ERROR* failed to alloc pagelist of size 00
    [fglrx:drm_vmalloc] *ERROR* [mempages] Allocating 0 bytes
    [fglrx:firegl_init_pcie] *ERROR* failed to alloc pagelist of size 00
    and from Xorg.0.log
    Code:
     (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to initialize ASIC in kernel.
    (EE) fglrx(0): [pcie] Failed to gather memory of size 262144Kb for PCIe. Error (-1014)
    (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.

Comment

• I'm using a HP nc8000 w/ an ATI 9600 pro.

Really crappy h/w, prev release unusuable, d/l'ing the last version now through apt...

Got a nVidia card for my work machine last week... I'm NEVER BUYING an ATI card again.

Installed the card,
      installed the drivers,
      built the module,
      launched control panel,
      connected second monitor,
      control panel detected monitor (!),
      control panel activated second monitor (!!) in twinview big-desktop mode (!!!),
      monitor WORKED!

I could even change the monitor's potition within the control panel, just like in Windows...

I mean, WOW!

edit:
      installed, 1400x1050 works fine, 3d still sux:

Code:
      wired@riddlebox:~$ fglrxinfo 
      display: :0.0  screen: 0
      OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
      OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series
      OpenGL version string: 2.1.7276 Release

wired@riddlebox:~$ fgl_glxgears 
      Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
      X Error of failed request:  GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
        Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
        Minor opcode of failed request:  16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
        Serial number of failed request:  41
        Current serial number in output stream:  42
      Last edited by Wired; 20 January 2008, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• my pc locked completely on startup with this driver. well, i'm not surprised.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          my pc locked completely on startup with this driver. well, i'm not surprised.
          Sorry, but I laughed.
          RANT

It's better to laugh than to cry, right?

Even though I'll still use my notebook with it's ATI Mobility X700 (so, I depend on fglrx), I've ordered a new desktop for me, with an 8800GT. Tired of POS drivers.

I'm a software developer so I know these things can take some time to be solved, but my pacience has it's limits. When I buy a video card I assume some of that money is for software development, so that when I install the new video card on my computer it will work as it should. Not the case with ATI unfortunatelly.
          I've bought this notebook in july, 2005 and 2 years and a half later I still can't take full profit of my videocard in Linux.

In Windows things are not that bad, but I really hate that CCC with it's .NET (sluggish) implementation.
          On the Linux side things just don't work as they should. I feel like I'm alpha testing. I'm testing code directly from "HEAD branch", untested.

/RANT

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
            Sorry, but I laughed.
            RANT

It's better to laugh than to cry, right?

[...]

I feel like I'm alpha testing. I'm testing code irectly from "HEAD branch", untested.

/RANT
            Dude, thats not even alpha testing! Just like you said, we're just testing their trunk for them...

It feels so stupid I want to throw my laptop outside the window.

My recent nVidia xperience makes everything even worse... I'd heard nVidia has better linux drivers, but I never thought it'd be so close to the windows version - check my previous post (top of this page).

Comment

• "failed to initialize ASIC bug" again...

Hello combatdoc,

Originally posted by combatdoc View Post
              Frome DMESG:
              Code:
              [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.45.4 [Jan 16 2008] on minor 0
              and from Xorg.0.log
              Code:
              (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to initialize ASIC in kernel.
              (EE) fglrx(0): [pcie] Failed to gather memory of size 262144Kb for PCIe. Error (-1014)
              (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
              You are getting the same "falied to initialize ASIC" bug I am experiencing.

I filed a bugreport on http://ati.cchtml.com/.
              You may want to add your experiences there so AMD can work out a fix!

For me it's back to 8.443 for know.

Regards,
              knutbert

Comment

• F**K, lockup issue reappeared

Originally posted by BratzeM View Post
                Thanx bridgman, this helped me, I was suffering from the lockup issue before aplying this workaround.
                hm, my lockup issue was solved (after turning textured video off), i logged out of gnome, got the gdm screen and locked back in. but now, after a reboot, i have the lockups again without changing anything in my xorg.conf
                what the f**k is going on?

Comment

• i dont complain much lol !

i have a 1800 GTO working fine on any screen tested, yes 1680x1050 and 1440x900 aswell. using 1280x720 and 1920x1080 mostly.

got a 2900 XT working fine, got a 3850 working fine, a 3870 working fine with lots of the mentioned bugs.

but MOVIES are a hell, scrolling is slow, the performance is right, the install was ezy.
                  well, i got 2 bugs witch bother me ALOT, scrolling isnt as fast as it should be, and movies are gay to watch in linux with ati atm with the current driver code.

Comment

• GL corruption with V5250 on 1680x1050 display

Is there any work around for the GL corruption bug with 1680x1050 displays? I noticed that hardware accelerated 3D apps did work with 8.443 driver, just that it wasn't possible to set the resolution above 1280x1024.

However, setting the resolution to 1280x1024 with the 8.1 driver, doesn't make the 3D apps work with this version of the driver.

Comment

• Originally posted by knutbert View Post
                      You are getting the same "falied to initialize ASIC" bug I am experiencing.

I filed a bugreport on http://ati.cchtml.com/.
                      You may want to add your experiences there so AMD can work out a fix!

For me it's back to 8.443 for know.

Regards,
                      knutbert
                      I added my two cents to the bug report as well.
                      Its kinda ticking me off. Not that I am still using a driver 5 revisions old (8.40.4) to get stable use, but that I also can't play with AIGLX (and all the openGL goodness I am missing now), and playing with KDE 4.0.0 almost requires me to disable XGL everytime.

I actually bought this laptop with the ATI card over the Nvidia option because my roomate had ATI at the time and his Compiz ran flawlessly while my Nvidia card would constantly choke everytime I tried compiz.

Where is a good place to buy Video Cards for my Dell e1705? I know the card is replacable, but I can't seem to find any to buy.

Guess I learned my lesson.

Comment

Working...
                      X