Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland/Weston Gets Forked As "GH-Next"

Phoronix: Wayland/Weston Gets Forked As "GH-Next"

Wayland and Weston along with other key branches like GTK+ and QtWayland have been forked by an independent developer under the "GH-Next" project name...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like "fork" is the wrong word... it's more like an experimental development branch, for playing with ideas that aren't of immediate priority for the main Wayland developers...

Comment

I totally understand this. every time I submit a patch to GTK its the same thing you spend more time trying to get the patch accepted than you do coding/debugging even when the patch is just a bugfix. Its funny that a lot of people think FOSS software suffers from to few developers contributing, when in fact its due to poor project management and prioritys would be contributers just get frustrated and move on.

Comment

MIR Effect

Even though I'm not all that interested in MIR, if it takes Canonical doing MIR and thisn guy pushing new code to get the Wayland guys off their butts, then I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Wayland/Weston Gets Forked As "GH-Next"

Wayland and Weston along with other key branches like GTK+ and QtWayland have been forked by an independent developer under the "GH-Next" project name...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzNDk
          shitstorm coming.

for the ubuntrolls this is not a fork per se is just a developer that feel the need to progress faster in some areas but having a hard time getting is ideas upstream and mostly for a good reason i believe.

Remember Wayland being the most likely replacement for X11 in the near future and will be prolly present in Redhat ES 8+[nVidia/AMD real market interest] Wayland need to be carefully and slowly revised since unlike your regular no-so-important forks wayland is a very critical part of any Distro and any error or lack of future vision now can bring hell later when you try to fix it.

so this developer is kinda working outside tree to test more deeply his ideas and maybe some other devs pick them as extensions later. this doesn't mean he is a crappy dev either since is very likely he posted working solution to common wayland issues but his patches were considered too hasty and no future proof enough to be included in the core protocol.

After wayland is expected to last at least half his predecessor lasted, so the need to be extremely careful is very real and the perfect time is now that everyone is in the process of porting from X11 not in 2 years when a break in the API can bring worlds of pain

Comment

"back in my days" nobody (read: the global average) cared about that stuff.
            we'd just fork the project and do whatever we want. if it had value, either we'd become the leading project, either the other party would contact back and be like "hey that's cool stuff, do you wanna be a core contributor and merge our projects back? lets use your/ours infra since your/ours is better" and we'd do just that.

and.. that was that. no butt-hurt feelings, no stupid fan-base opinions, not ego-driven dev, no-for-fame-shit just people doing things.

popularity sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              shitstorm coming.
              Wait, wasn't Ubuntu doing exactly that?

---

Personally I find this idea huge waste of effort.

It would be a lot nicer, if the guy just did one single post describing all contributions he made, time and effort it took to submit and reason why there were not accepted.

That would place the ironsights exactly on the problem.

Instead ... effort has split, and we have just another graphics system,.. wonderful for confusing beginner contributors and distro developers.
              I am not criticizing him though, its still a decent decision.

Comment

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                I totally understand this. every time I submit a patch to GTK its the same thing you spend more time trying to get the patch accepted than you do coding/debugging even when the patch is just a bugfix. Its funny that a lot of people think FOSS software suffers from to few developers contributing, when in fact its due to poor project management and prioritys would be contributers just get frustrated and move on.
                Exactly, if you're new to a project and send a patch and it just gets accepted - you're really lucky. Most projects are stale and/or accept patches from known/past contributors, if you're not on that list you've got to fight an uphill battle first, sometimes it's worthless to even try. And I'm with Scott on this one - the Wayland devs are taking way too long to finish the freaking protocol.xml file, 5 years, minimize-maximize not decided yet, Wayland devs, seriously, get your shit together.

Comment

The reason for this -apart from SM wanting to experiment- is that Kristian doesn't want to turn weston in a dull featured desktop right???

Comment

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                    While your point might be true in some cases, it's irrelevant to the situation at hand. This doesn't seem to be a developer getting angry at upstream developers not accepting his patches - this is someone who's happy cooperating with those devs, but wants to experiment with things that don't match their immediate priorities. No angst or aggression, just a guy creating a new development branch to play in...

(Edit: well, not much aggression, at least. Granted, there's a little annoyance at upstream being slow, but even so, there's no apparent hostility here)
                    Last edited by Delgarde; 24 March 2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X