Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia:The secret plan to opensource there proprietary driver

Yes nice title right?

Right now its only whispering flying arround but people who do know me get the point.

And in the past I was right so many times. So there is a high chance that if the linux community pass the secret test nvidia will open up there drivers.

So if you are a member of the opensource driver community and someone overs you something in the next time you better join in or they drop the "plan".

Nvidia invites opensource driver people to there exhibition events in the past and most of the time the FOSS people are bored and drop it.

But don't drop the next invitation.

Nvidia's managment is impresset by the positive puplic press of the opensource driver.
    Also they slowly get the point that the opensource driver do not drain the selling of FireGL/Quatro cards in the example of AMD they sell more because the customers are more happy.

And a big part of selling hardware is just: happynes and good public relation and Nvidia can get this very cheap with opensource drivers.

And now people?
    The haters can start writing FUD and Bullshit about me and my stupid "speculations" without any Source.

The other people are free to join my speculations about Nvidia's now leaket secret plan.

Welp, seems legit.

Where can I throw money?

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
      Yes nice title right?

Right now its only whispering flying arround but people who do know me get the point.

And in the past I was right so many times. So there is a high chance that if the linux community pass the secret test nvidia will open up there drivers.

So if you are a member of the opensource driver community and someone overs you something in the next time you better join in or they drop the "plan".

Nvidia invites opensource driver people to there exhibition events in the past and most of the time the FOSS people are bored and drop it.

But don't drop the next invitation.

Nvidia's managment is impresset by the positive puplic press of the opensource driver.
      Also they slowly get the point that the opensource driver do not drain the selling of FireGL/Quatro cards in the example of AMD they sell more because the customers are more happy.

And a big part of selling hardware is just: happynes and good public relation and Nvidia can get this very cheap with opensource drivers.

And now people?
      The haters can start writing FUD and Bullshit about me and my stupid "speculations" without any Source.

The other people are free to join my speculations about Nvidia's now leaket secret plan.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Welp, seems legit.

Where can I throw money?
        They start with: tegra

After that they decide if they do more.

Comment

Isn't comparing this particular technology to AMD/nVidia/Intel like comparing apple's and oranges*? It seems to me the engines behind these packages are designed more in line with low-powered devices such as phones and set top boxes, signal processing and machinery of all sorts. They appear to be quite powerful and modern (even so far as getting in bed with Intel for 14nm production). Couple a FPGA like these offerings with open drivers with a similarly open 3D printer like the rep-rap designs and suddenly you have yourself an extremely modern and adaptable (your settings your way doing whatever, whenever) production facility hand-built in your back yard for a pittence. Broken mower blade? '*bzzzzz* there ya go!'

And it could scale and you woudn't be bound by licencing etc as you grow, should you be in business. I'm thinking more along the lines of those poor starving children in Africa who cant get repacement parts on the water pumps we Westerners so generously give out and never support =D But that'd be idealistic.

Some pretty powerful stuff. I'd be remiss if didn't question their motives for releasing their hardware spec's to us, the unwashed masses, based upon a kickstarter's interest. It would seem to me the more interest they garner, the less inclined they would be to release their stuff. The market's saturated for sure, but it would appear they are the market leader's.

Is there Kickstarter programme in place yet, or are they still contemplating introducing their contemplative offering?
          Hi

Comment

Let's get that straight.
            Not sure if this is legit in any way.
            But, who knows. I'd not be surprised to see NVidia doing such a move *NOW*.

AMD finally managed to offer really good performance to most of their GPUs
            with the FOSS drivers, has UVD implemented and dynamic clocking/PM.
            And it looks like they're even getting to (basic) first-day support.

The positive feedback is amazing, the community finally appreciates what has been done -
            even if it took many years to converge. Looking back it was a clever move.
            They can now offer full FOSS support for their APUs (and GPUs, ofc).

We're used to companies offer programming docs for their CPUs and incorporate
            the changes into the kernel even before you can buy those chips.
            Thinking about it; wouldn't it be somehow strange if you need to load a binary blob
            for large parts of your APU? I do think so.*
            After all APUs - or what intel calls them - basically are the new CPUs.

This way - as intel also does - they can offer a system working out of the box using FOSS:
            Linux kernel, GNU userland and freedesktop.org environment, which runs
            X.Org, Wayland, OpenGL, OpenCL, UVC, Dynamic Powermanagement, etc... - basically everything.

So if NVidia really offers FOSS drivers beyond their Tegra ASICs we can all thank
            AMD (and intel) for this. I'm pretty sure if AMD wasn't that successful with the FOSS driver
            for high-end GPUs, NVidia would still be as ignorant as ever towards offering programming docs
            and FOSS drivers.

And to be precise:
            I'm still not sure they [NVidia] will offer something (how could I), but if they do
            it won't be opening up their proprietary driver as Q said. They'd rather also offer
            programming docs and help the Nouveau community. It could be thinkable that
            they open up some blocks of the blob, but surely not the full deal.

[*] IIRC, Bridgman agreed on this some time ago and said this was indeed
            a large part of the motivation back then to offer programming docs.

Comment

Hi,

I still do not understand what GPU manufacturers have to hide.

Comment

software applications that leverage take advantage of Nvidia?s chips and offer exclusive capabilities.

Tranlsated from NVIDIA PR speak : Vendor lock-in

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post

Hate to tell you this but my source at nv says there are at least 3 different IP licensers that are blocking any such possibility unless you want another crippled open driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphic...e_Company.html

software applications that leverage take advantage of Nvidia’s chips and offer exclusive capabilities.

Tranlsated from NVIDIA PR speak : Vendor lock-in
                    I have to admit that this is actually a very good point that I didn't considered so far.

So, if I got you right, you imply, for example, that NVidia does not want to offer programming docs for their ASICs
                    or even actively support a competetive FOSS driver because that wouldn't allow them to include
                    exclusive CUDA features which are essential for their strategy.

Of course, technically they could provide a CUDA state tracker.
                    But that would obviously be a no-go for NVidia as this state tracker could be quickly adapted
                    to run on AMD ASICs. Then again, without CUDA support NVidia surely doesn't want a competetive
                    FOSS driver and, thus, they don't provide programming docs to the community.

Do you think this is too crazy?
                    Last edited by entropy; 20 July 2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X