E18 Wayland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E18 Wayland?

any one have any real info on the E18 Wayland port?

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    any one have any real info on the E18 Wayland port?
    Works AFAIK

It’s been a while since I’ve written a real blog post, so I’m going to do a bit of a roundup here. Brace yourselves. WAYLAND STATUS: Thanks to the work of Chris “devilhorns&…

few things are missing (ie minimize) but they are worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Works AFAIK

It’s been a while since I’ve written a real blog post, so I’m going to do a bit of a roundup here. Brace yourselves. WAYLAND STATUS: Thanks to the work of Chris “devilhorns&…

few things are missing (ie minimize) but they are worked on.
      i found the post of them telling Mir Developers to get lost in a nice way

Comment

damn he's saying EFL is 3 times faster then QT and 30% less memory

"Meanwhile, a mild engineering war came and went between a Polish engineer at Samsung using QT and a French engineer at Samsung using EFL. TL;DR: EFL test case starts 3 times faster and uses 30% less memory, but QT is probably easier to write with due to the immaturity of our Elev8 project."

it also has this nice Video

Last edited by LinuxGamer; 19 July 2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

You can run the elementary test application in Rebecca Black Linux if you want. It is perfectly smooth and already has client side decorations.

it also has this nice Video
          I am not sure if it is running on Wayland in that particular video, but Enlightenment sure is awesome. I find it especially impressive that EFL is so fast considering it also has a lot more GUI effects compared to other toolkits.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
            You can run the elementary test application in Rebecca Black Linux if you want. It is perfectly smooth and already has client side decorations.

I am not sure if it is running on Wayland in that particular video, but Enlightenment sure is awesome. I find it especially impressive that EFL is so fast considering it also has a lot more GUI effects compared to other toolkits.
            it's E18 and far as i know it said that E18 was going to be full Wayland

Comment

it's E18 and far as i know it said that E18 was going to be full Wayland
              Really? Where have you heard that? (that it is going to be Wayland only)

Comment

from there site?

"Enlightenment is backing Wayland for our future display system, and for now has no plans concerning Mir.

There has been a lot of kerfuffle about Ubuntu's new effort to make Mir, their new display server. It has been made plain that this isn't A Wayland Compositor but is a whole new thing unrelated to Wayland, or X11.

Regardless, there has been some dubious reasoning as to why Mir should exist etc., but that aside, at this stage it is very immature and not much is able to be said one way or another. Time will tell.

The purpose of this post is to make it clear, that we here in the Enlightenment world are backing Wayland already, and will continue to do so. We have been backing it for a while now, with a port of EFL to Wayland already working, with input, display, OpenGL-ES2 and software shared memory rendering, client side decorations and more. We also have support for Wayland clients in E17 (under X11) and there is work going on to make Enlightenment support being a pure Wayland compositor using KMS/DRM etc.

It is our belief that supporting open community driven standards like Wayland that allow for us all to agree and work together, and yet still allow for individual expression per desktop environment (by making your own compositor that speaks Wayland protocol) will ultimately succeed. There is nothing technically wrong with Wayland at all, and nothing about the Mir project seems at this stage to change that. We don't intend to do any work to support Mir, and carrying extra Mir rendering engines and display system support will be an added burden that we are not keen on, even if someone were to do the work. We already maintain a lot of back-end rendering engines and display system abstractions, and the cost is considerable to maintain. I don't see any value in adding to that when there is no fundamental difference between Wayland an Mir on any technical level in terms of capabilities.

We wish the Mir develops all the best of luck in their endeavors, but we will, for the foreseeable future, throw our efforts behind Wayland support, along with our GTK+/GNOME and Qt/KDE etc. counterparts."

Comment

it looks like they bashed Canonical a little bit too

Comment

"... and there is work going on to make Enlightenment support being a pure Wayland compositor using KMS/DRM etc."
                    As far as I understand it Enlightenment will support the functionality of being a Wayland compositor but not that it will necessarily drop Xorg support. I could be wrong though. Either way, Enlightenment on Wayland will be awesome. Hopefully it will be ready by the time Fedora 20 is released.

it looks like they bashed Canonical a little bit too
                    Yep, that is always nice to see.

Comment

Working...
                    X