AMD 8.39.4 Driver Released -- 8.35 no longer does it better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 8.39.4 Driver Released -- 8.35 no longer does it better

The AMD 8.39 driver is now out w/ Fedora 7 support! Other than that, there isn't anything too exciting, but check out the Phoronix article for more information:

Last month was an interesting time for AMD and their ATI Linux display driver. The Radeon HD 2400 and 2600 series were introduced, but as we have unfortunately come to expect, there was not a supported R600 driver that day or even that month. In fact, there still is no Linux driver to support any graphics card in the R600 series. Though making the month unique were two display drivers being released in the same week. The 8.38.6 driver had introduced Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 support as well as some minor fixes, but nothing to spark interest in the minds of end-users. The second Linux driver released, 8.38.7, had come down the pipeline as a hot-fix release to correct a bug where aticonfig would crash and remove your xorg.conf. Moving forward to the 8.39.4 driver released today, we still have no AIGLX or R600 support, but we do have Fedora 7 support!
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Release Notes: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ux_8.39.4.html

( This driver has been dubbed the "8.35 no longer does it better" edition as it corrects TexturedVideo with glesx.so. You can guess the unofficial name for the fglrx 8.40 driver next month in this thread http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3511 )
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    The AMD 8.39 driver is now out w/ Fedora 7 support! Other than that, there isn't anything too exciting, but check out the Phoronix article for more information:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Release Notes: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ux_8.39.4.html

( This driver has been dubbed the "8.35 no longer does it better" edition as it corrects TexturedVideo with glesx.so. You can guess the unofficial name for the fglrx 8.40 driver next month in this thread http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3511 )
    Where to download this driver??It seems the driver hasn't been released yet.I can't find it in the driver page.

Comment

Another masterpiece from AMD, at least now they admit it is for testing only.
      This driver comes with a nice logo that overlays all windows on my system.
      AMD- Testing use only.

I guess they uploaded the beta version.

Any ideas how to get rid of that logo, besides downloading the driver again in a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by swannema View Post
        Another masterpiece from AMD, at least now they admit it is for testing only.
        This driver comes with a nice logo that overlays all windows on my system.
        AMD- Testing use only.

I guess they uploaded the beta version.

Any ideas how to get rid of that logo, besides downloading the driver again in a couple of days.
        They accidentally uploaded the build with the watermark then... I am sure they will correct it shortly. It can't be disabled too easily.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

it goes away when you identify displays via amdcccle. but only for a couple of seconds.

argh.

what about those xbm override files in /etc ? i'm actually considering hex-editor rampage on the driver files :]

so far 8.35 STILL does it better :]

Video Tearing may be seen during playback in XV using GLESX. Further details can be found in topic number 737-26984
          *sigh*

i really feel like installing xorg-server-1.2 now :]
          Last edited by yoshi314; 19 July 2007, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I updated xorg to 1.3 and installed 8.39.4 driver on my Fedora 7,however,the Xorg doesn't work.when the Xorg starts,my screen just turned to be black.I checked out the Xorg.log.0,there isn't any error in that log..

I don't know what happened ...It seems that the fglrx driver is working ,but Xorg can't start up....

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
              it goes away when you identify displays via amdcccle. but only for a couple of seconds.

argh.

what about those xbm override files in /etc ? i'm actually considering hex-editor rampage on the driver files :]
              Others and I have tried several things to kill the "Testing use only" logo... Replacing logos, etc and so far it has been to no avail. (Been thinking about it on and off for several weeks now).

There are these strings in the driver:

atiddxLogoInit
              atiddxPositionLogo
              atiddxEnableLogo
              atiddxLoadLogo
              atiddxDisableLogo
              But trying to use the DisableLogo option in the X configuration hadn't worked. There may be a hot fix release to correct this.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

There's a BUG in this kernel module.

My dmesg log is slowly filling up with messages like this:

BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context at include/asm/semaphore.h:99
                in_atomic():1, irqs_disabled():0
                [<f8d01db5>] __ke_down_struct_sem+0x14/0x2b [fglrx]
                [<f8d06b2f>] firegl_remove_all_drawables+0x3f/0x100 [fglrx]
                [<f8d0934f>] firegl_release_helper+0x55f/0x7d0 [fglrx]
                [<f8d0cc9b>] firegl_takedown+0x5b/0xc50 [fglrx]
                [<f8d0c32f>] firegl_release+0x12f/0x190 [fglrx]
                [<f8d008ba>] ip_firegl_release+0xf/0x12 [fglrx]
                [<c015e242>] __fput+0xb5/0x15d
                [<c015be3c>] filp_close+0x51/0x58
                [<c010577f>] do_syscall_trace+0x13d/0x182
                [<c015cd97>] sys_close+0x67/0x9e
                [<c01026da>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb
                [<c0290000>] __xfrm_policy_check+0x187/0x4a3
                =======================

This isn't a good sign.

Apart from that, I've had so set UseFastTLS to "2". I've never run fglrx before, so I don't know which are the "good" options to enable.

And here's another BUG from the kernel log:

BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context at include/asm/semaphore.h:99
                in_atomic():1, irqs_disabled():0
                [<f8d57db5>] __ke_down_struct_sem+0x14/0x2b [fglrx]
                [<f8d5c424>] drm_getmagic+0x124/0x1c0 [fglrx]
                [<f8d5c300>] drm_getmagic+0x0/0x1c0 [fglrx]
                [<f8d6253e>] firegl_ioctl+0x1ae/0x230 [fglrx]
                [<c015c154>] do_filp_open+0x32/0x39
                [<f8d5688a>] ip_firegl_ioctl+0x0/0x21 [fglrx]
                [<f8d568a6>] ip_firegl_ioctl+0x1c/0x21 [fglrx]
                [<f8d5688a>] ip_firegl_ioctl+0x0/0x21 [fglrx]
                [<c01673e3>] do_ioctl+0x87/0x9f
                [<c013c50d>] audit_syscall_entry+0x10d/0x137
                [<c0167632>] vfs_ioctl+0x237/0x249
                [<c0167677>] sys_ioctl+0x33/0x4c
                [<c01026da>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb
                [<c0290033>] __xfrm_policy_check+0x1ba/0x4a3
                =======================
                Last edited by chrisr; 19 July 2007, 07:40 PM.

Comment

The release notes do not specify Xorg 7.3 ?!~ What gives?

Comment

Xorg 7.3 = Xorg Server 1.4 not yet released or supported, but Xorg Server 1.3 is supported for some time now.

This release is not as bad as you could think. Michael, did you test whether there were performance improvements in Doom 3 etc.? I think 8.40 could be VERY interesting...

Comment

Working...
                    X