Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNU Linux-libre 6.9 Released: More Deblobbing, Fixes Intel Graphics On GuC-Less Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-libre 6.9 Released: More Deblobbing, Fixes Intel Graphics On GuC-Less Systems

Phoronix: GNU Linux-libre 6.9 Released: More Deblobbing, Fixes Intel Graphics On GuC-Less Systems

Building off last night's release of Linux 6.9 stable, GNU Linux-libre 6.9-gnu has debuted as this kernel downstream that works on stripping out support for any drivers/hardware depending upon closed-source firmware/microcode and other alterations in the name of software freedom...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is anybody actually using this troll project?
    Michael reports on it so often, you'd think it has the userbase of Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
      I would actually like to give it a try. I just need to find out what would work and what not on my various hardware.

Comment

This is no troll project to me at all. Regardless of user base, it still acts as a "fleet in being".

Thanks for your work, guys!

Comment

They have worked around the Intel i915 driver behavior how it's handling the GuC micro-controller firmware and such that it will hopefully be working for Intel graphics platforms not dependent upon the GuC firmware or other firmware blobs.
          I've been using the release candidates for Linux-libre 6.9, and graphics acceleration is now working with Intel Xe graphics whereas it wasn't without guc firmware on kernel versions 6.8 and prior. I don't have any system with Arc graphics yet, not sure how Arc will be affected, but I'm hopeful for a similar result.

Comment

Rumor has it both users are actually ecstatic about this release.

Joking aside, what Joe2021 said, fleet in being.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
              Regardless of user base, it still acts as a "fleet in being".
              "Fleet in being" would imply something that's never used but acts as a deterrent. I don't know if I agree with that. Debian has defaulted to a completely free kernel for many years to my knowledge, and it has a huge user base. Linux-libre is a bit more strict than Debian, but there isn't a large difference. Most free software advocates I've talked to over the years say that the Debian kernels are free enough, but that they prefer to use Linux-libre when it's available. That's been my approach since about 2016, and I'm always using new-ish equipment and have never been stuck without the ability to boot or run the system or get my work done.

Also [and we as a community have discussed this previously in these Linux-libre threads] the linux kernel project itself has been removing non-free bits for years and accepting some changes that were upstreamed by Linux-libre, so there is a long-term convergence that's occurring. Someday there might be no Linux-libre kernel because the mainline kernel is already libre itself.
              Last edited by andyprough; 13 May 2024, 11:56 AM.

Comment

While I don't personally care about it, it's hardly a troll project. Besides, Michael reports on a ton of stuff when they update, so your argument is bizarre.

Comment

They haven't cleaned anything up though, they've just made drivers no longer work...

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                    They haven't cleaned anything up though, they've just made drivers no longer work...
                    And yet graphics acceleration now works with Intel Xe graphics whereas it did not previously. So maybe the Intel updates to the 6.8 and 6.9 kernels now give working graphics without the guc firmware?

Comment

Working...
                    X